586,106 active members*
3,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: MY DIY CNC

MY DIY CNC

using the frame from an adjustable bed, I started my CNC. the metal frame was obviously welded using a nice jig to keep it all very straight.

i built the gantry out of reclining chair parts. the rubber feet are still visible.

drawer slides that have a lot of slop in them.

garage door rollers work to mover the gantry for now. the bed frame should accept some sort of v bearing design in the future. i will rebuild it.

everything is running on nema 17 motors for now. will up grade soon.

threaded rods, couplers, microswitches, power supplies, all came off the shelf here in the shop. I have a lot of shelves.

added a spring to assist the Z motor. it actually is pushing down in stead of lifting.

lots of errors, mis hoaps, burnt bits, wiring, alignment, loose stuff, i have seen it all.

using the 3 axis interface board from ebay.

will add the laser and stuff later.

hope the video works

check out pics of stuff i made and other pics of the build at my face book link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152807414926317/

trying to insert pics and vids.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	402.9 KB 
ID:	203570

Attachment 203568

maybe....

Working pretty good considering your parts sources.. Innovative!

Quote Originally Posted by gmfoster View Post
    Working pretty good considering your parts sources.. Innovative!
    I am having a lot of fun.

the tool offset programming and the file conversion is the part I am working on now...

Thanks for the compliment. I am helping a newbie in England. Trying to convince him to just get something together with cheap or free parts to learn all the other aspects.

As a copier repairman, the mechanics and the wiring and the electronics is easy. yes, I said , ez. I

I have fabricated many items, including hydraulics on tree removal equipment. Knowing how much strain and forces that are involved helped alot.

I still have some play in the system. this causes some vibrations that are visible in the finished product. oh well. hoping to use this machine to make stuff to build a BIGGER one.

here are some of my latest cuts. still having a bit of trouble with zeroing the system. Hence, put something to gether that works . then, learn all the problems u will run into. making a perfect machine and then not knowing how to use it seemed useless.
    Attachment 203992
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0082.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	203994

https://www.facebook.com/YMTWoodWork...00722580816719