586,966 active members*
2,853 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > Bridgeport R2E4 with Ajaxcnc -spindle direction in back gear

Hybrid View

Bridgeport R2E4 with Ajaxcnc -spindle direction in back gear

Hi

Does anyone know how to setup the Ajax all in one DC310B to give proper direction command whether in low or high gear? I'm not finding much information as to the process.

Using a 4kw VFD

Quote Originally Posted by dougputt View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know how to setup the Ajax all in one DC310B to give proper direction command whether in low or high gear? I'm not finding much information as to the process.

Using a 4kw VFD
    its done all the time.. basically you install a switch on the hi lo range lever so that the control knows which gear you are in...then the control will know to switch the direction to tell the inverter to run so CW is CW in any gear. alternatively you can program an Aux key on the jog panel to act as the hi / lo switch as well. so you would have to press the button to tell the control which gear range you are in. give [email protected] an email they will point you in the right direction to hook up the switch.

Hi

Yes I have hi/low range switch all set up, but how do I get the output to properly change the spindle direction

Doug

When you enter the low gear ratio in Machine Parameter 65, enter it as a negative value.

For example, if your head has 8:1 reduction, so that low-range speed is 0.125 x the high range speed, then you would set Parameter 65 to a value of -0.125.

Yes, I have already done that but no change to spindle direction at machine.

You probably have an obsolete PLC program (prior to the numerous corrections made April-May 2011).

Try using the attached PLC program update for a basic DC3IOB mill.

Ok, I will try but the PLC i downloaded was the Bridgeport PLC only installed the DC310B and PLC a month or so ago. Maybe the Bridgeport PLC does not have spindle speed output as it uses the solenoids?
    I believe I correctly backed up a copy of my current settings, so I should be able to install the attached PLC you sent and then transfer my settings back on top of that?

Regards
    Doug

The package I posted ("report.zip") is not a complete report. It is only a PLC program. Installing it would replace your PLC program, but would not replace any of your Configuration or Parameter settings.

However, it is a generic/basic program, not a Bridgeport Boss program. Therefore it would not have the functions for the pneumatic spindle speed up/down controls and spindle brake. My guess is that the nominal "Bridgeport Boss" DC3IOB program was built on a much older basic program, and has not been updated with the 2011 additions and corrections.

If you are inclined to learn how to edit and compile PLC programs, you could look at your source and the one I posted, and perhaps compare/combine them with a program like WinMerge.

If not, you could hire me to do it (probably a 1 - 2 hour job, therefore $60 - $120); or see if you can get Ajax to do it for you in a timely fashion.

Ok, will let you know thanks.

no Luck with spindle going right direction either...still have to m4 in low to go clockwise

Yes, no luck so far with spindle speed

1) Check the date, time and size of your mpu.plc file. If you successfully installed the PLC update, and did not subsequently overwrite it with a different one (e.g. an old one from one of your previous reports), then the mpu.plc file should be dated 11/26/2013, 9:22am, and should be 132,262 bytes long.

2) Verify that your spindle range switch is wired to PLC INP9, and that it is open in high range and closed in low range.

3) On the Alt-i PLC diagnostic display, verify that INP9 shows Red in high range and Green in low range.

4) Tell us what values you have in Centroid Machine Parameters 65 and 178.

Hi CNCSNW

Thanks for the response I do appreciate it. I was able to get a hold of Ajax and they fixed up the PLC to run in correct direction. But you are right I thought it was updated to the basic but it didn't work until they ran something to get it to work.

Parameter 65 is -.1121 I think
    I don't know what 178 is I will look tonight.