586,055 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Connecting Lines Between Letters with V-Carve

Connecting Lines Between Letters with V-Carve

I'm doing some admittedly small V-Carve lettering with the letters being between .100" and .400" tall in wood.
    I've tried changing the various (but limited) parameters, but when the letters are cut, I get very thin lines where the bit just barely drags the surface of the material between the letters.
    Can I not force a higher clearance height for transverses between one letter to the next?

I have an ATC tool rack that uses a plastic puck on top of the measuring tool, and I thought "maybe" that the pointed cutter was digging into the measuring tool. However, the letters come out looking correct, so if my tool offset is off by a couple or so thousandths, then that would mean that Madcam is only using a couple of thousandths between V-Carve tool paths, and that would seem a bit tight is seems to me.
    I also double checked my tool entry in the Madcam cutter library, and it appears to be correct for the tool as far as I can tell.

I'm sorry for the fuzzy cell phone picture, but it still easily shows what I'm referring to.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VcarveLetters.jpg  

You can change the cut-link dictance for your saved cutter tool.
    If you set the cut-link distance=0, it will generate rapid traverses and not go on the surface between each letter.

/Joakim

Thank you! This has been vexing me for a few days because I knew it had to be something simple. I'll check and change that setting and try the cut again on Monday and report how it goes.
    By the way, is there any chance a PP for the Camaster ATC 4-Axis might be made? I have the one your wrote for the Camaster ATC already but it doesn't include the 4th Axis capability.
    Thanks again.