586,195 active members*
4,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build
Page 1 of 7 123

CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build

Jumping in from Star, Idaho to build a CRP PRO4848. Planning and organizing for the build, planning on having everything completed over the next 6 weeks and operational. Kit should be hitting the door step around the end of October.

Ordered from CRP
    • CRP PRO4848 kit for Nema 34
    • Proximity switches
    • Router mount- PC 690L
    • DIY Nema 34- 4 Axis electronics Kit w/ cable upgrade
    • Extra gusset brackets for fastening to vacuum table
    • VCarve Pro

Items I already have
    • Desktop CNC router - to make anything for machine I might need
    • Computer with a licensed Mach 3 software
    • Several feet of 2.5" & 2" square tubing - for table base
    • A shop full of tools
    • AutoCad, Sketchup Pro, Adobe Creative Suite
    • Left over items from last CNC build

First thing I will tackle while waiting for the kit to arrive is the table base construction. I have it planned in Sketchup and ready to start cutting and welding. Last Picture is proof of concept for the wheel mechanism, this is a friends table that he uses in his home shop. See design below.
    Attachment 204330
    Attachment 204332
    Attachment 204334
    Attachment 204336

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4-table-base1-1-final-800.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	204344
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x4-table-base1-1-final-800.png   4x4-table-base1-1-final-800.png  

Looking good. I will be starting a PRO4824 soon. I have placed the order yesterday. Nice wheel kit for the table
    Jacob

It is very simple to do. Once you have the casters, the mechanism is just a heavy bolt welded to a rod that has two thick wall tubes welded on to work as a cam to push the wheels down. I don't plan on moving it much, but when I do it will do the job. I also plan on once I have my final place where the machine will do most of its work I will mark the leg locations on the ground with a black sharpie.

One thing that is much easier than your cam setup is just place the wheels a 1/2 inch below the height of your leveling feet fully retracted. Then all you need to do is retract your feet and its on its wheels.

Now that's some food for thought , I might do a mockup this weekend while I am putting the table together to see if I like that better. Great thought!

All the metal is cut and ground down for welding. Still have to cut some end plates for table top rail closure and end plates for leg levelers. After it is welded I will cut the diagonal bracing, grind the welds and prep for powder coating. I lucked out i have a friend that owns a powder coating facility. Per Cory from CNC router parts the powder coat color they are using is cardinal RD02. This metal table is being made from some repurposed 2.5" metal I had left over from a batting cage I built a few years back. It is heavy wall tubing that will assist in the weight for better stability I hope.

Name:	metal-1.jpg 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	205096

Well when I got home from work today there were 5 boxes at my front door, it looks like the Brown Santa has arrived early! I should be getting the extrusion order today which will complete the kit from CNCRouterParts. So far these guys have really been nothing but first class with their product, customer support and just answering general questions. It is refreshing to see a small company doing the right things. Hats off to them!

I have a few more items coming in the mail :
    • Enclosure case - Sourced on EBAY
    • PMDX-134 and ribbon cable - From PMDX
    • Power cable, terminal block, power entry - From Newark
    • 110V fan for case - Performance PC
    • Various other items - from Digikey

Once the additional items I need for the DIY electronics kit arrive i will be taking a bunch of pictures for a step-by-step process of installing all the gear to make it run.

Here is a drawing of a rolling computer station - see below

Name:	toolcart2.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	205794

Table is welded and I am in the process of cleaning up all the welds right now. Spent the early morning planning for a new heater for the garage. I will be going with a 50K BTU gas heater from Mr. Heater, Northern tools has them on special right now for $399 usually $499. It should be a pretty simple install since my gas source and exhaust venting are all located where I wanted to put it. I will mount it from the ceiling and add y-vent coupler into existing house system exhaust. I have a few friends that are in the business and I will be running the install by them before I procede just to be safe.

Finished sourcing the rest of the electronics I will need to complete the DIY kit the way I want it. Most of the items will be coming from Newark electronics. Once I have everything ready to go I will lay it all out and take pictures of the process for those that might want to go the DIY electronics kit way. I would have gone with plug and play system but I had a few of the items already and thought I would save a few dollars to put toward another item for the machine.

My case for the electronics was delivered today. Looks like I will be playing around with the layout of all the goodies going inside....yeah! Also ordered the gas heater for the garage today and a few items need to button up the electronics case. A few more minor items and I will have that part over with and start the assembly process.

Here is a picture of the table welded up, still need to finish smoothing welds, add the caster mechanism ,leg levelers and put a finish on it. Here is also another drawing i did of the new caster mechanism.

Attachment 206532

Attachment 206534

That kind of reminds me of the leveling system I put on my cabinets. Ordering Cabinet Levelers | Leveling Cabinets | EZ-Level
    It works by having a triangle piece that pivots and is pushed down by a threaded rod.

Looks like a busy weekend, a few items showed up in the last three days.

50K BTU Gas Heater for the garage
    Electronics case
    Caster for the leveling mechanism
    Grade 8 bolts, washers, nuts and rubber bumpers for leg leveler

Need to go to the local pick a part and pickup two identical scissor jacks. At my local pick a part you can get jacks for $1.00 each....what a bargain!

Rethinking the scissor jack caster mechanism. Leaning toward possible welding on caster on end pieces and activating them by raising up the leg levelers. I know it will be a slow process but I don't mind since I will not be moving the machine very often.

Thought also about making a welded portable cart that I can put under the table and move it that way.

Does anybody out there that has built any of the CRP PRO versions ever done a 4th axis add on? If so can you please share a link.

Harbor freight has trailer jacks that bolt on that a lot of guys use on their cncs

Got the lower wheels attached, welds ground down and painted with Rustoleum Hammer Finish. Need to get the end caps and the leg levelers installed. Proceeded last night to start on the base assembly. Pictures to follow later this evening.

If you have never used the Rustoleum Hemmer finish paint, use the brush on variety it is mush more durable and puts and quality finish with out the brush strokes showing. I have used this paint on other items over the last 8 years and have had great success, whether it be an inside or outdoor item.

Here are pictures of the table base painted with Rustoleum Hammer finish.
    Attachment 209200

Here is a close up of the finish

Name:	IMG_9503.jpg 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	209202

Quote Originally Posted by landarts View Post
    Does anybody out there that has built any of the CRP PRO versions ever done a 4th axis add on? If so can you please share a link.
    I'm looking to add a 4th axis to my pro4896 very soon, I will keep you posted.

Awesome please do I have been do some major research and would love to hear what way you are going.

i have a project i need the 4th axis system for for my business. so i'm looking at something cheap and easy to just get going. my wraps won't be too large so i might just mount it on my spoilboard. or make a plate where i can easily mount it on and off the front of the machine extrusion.

theres these on ebay, a lot of them are 100$ cheaper than that one too.
    CNC Router Rotational Rotary Axis A 4th Axis 3 Jaw Tailstock Nema34 Steel Frame | eBay

alternatively, i might just look into a higher end tailstock and check/gear system that is designed for nem23, as i already have the stepper, drive, and psu from my previous cnc mill.

Page 1 of 7 123