586,106 active members*
3,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Am I in the ballpark? 1/2" aluminum

Looking at machines and doing research, I'd like to be able to cut out flanges made of aluminum up to 1/2" at the thickest. I would imagine structural rigidity will have to be pretty high on the priority list. Should I be looking at CNC Routers?

Flanges? 1/2" alum.? Maybe a milling machine?

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
    Looking at machines and doing research, I'd like to be able to cut out flanges made of aluminum up to 1/2" at the thickest. I would imagine structural rigidity will have to be pretty high on the priority list. Should I be looking at CNC Routers?
    Flanges covers an amazing array of sizes, designs and applications. All of these things and more need to be taken into account before machine can be suggested! Then the question of what you mean by router crops up.

As to flanges, depending upon what is meant here, an argument could be made for a CNC mill, CNC lathe or a CNC router ( a form of mill). So to help you out you need to dish out some more info.

you can machined out the flange by lathe and EDM .
    lathe, turning,milling, grinding,CNC ,EDM,Injection Moulds, die casting mould
    Carbide Inserts,Cutting Tool,Wear Parts

CNC plasma also readily makes flanges
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

The plan deals with aluminum mainly and the flanges vary from 24"x 6" on down and 1/2" thick at the most. Stuff like this http://www.performancevh.com/s2_vh45...ake_flange.jpg but aluminum. This is just a hobby and will be setup in the garage. I'm starting to think a mill would be nicer, if you can still use it manually. I'm thinking it would be more versatile that a router setup.

DareDee - I wasn't aware a plasma would cut aluminum.

The plan deals with aluminum mainly and the flanges vary from 24"x 6" on down and 1/2" thick at the most. Stuff like this http://www.performancevh.com/s2_vh45...ake_flange.jpg
    I wasn't even close in what I was thinking.
    but aluminum. This is just a hobby and will be setup in the garage. I'm starting to think a mill would be nicer,
    That would be a big mill!
    if you can still use it manually. I'm thinking it would be more versatile that a router setup.
    Here is the problem, you would need a big mill (relatively) to do a 24 inch long flange reliable and without a lot of fuss. At least one axis would need 24 inches of travel plus a few inches for clearance of tools and so forth. This isn't a problem if you have the room and the money for a lot of castiron. A mill would certainly be versatile but so can a router, it really depends upon where other interests lay.

The big problem going the router route😁😁, is that doing aluminum on this scale requires a significantly stiffer machine than some of the lower cost router solutions out there. It can be done but this won't be a router built out of MDF. The balancing act here is that routers are versatile machines in their own right. Which is better for you (mill or router) really depends upon how you intend to use the machines for other interests. A router, especially a solidly constructed one, is in reality a specialized milling machine.

DareDee - I wasn't aware a plasma would cut aluminum.
    You can also use water jets and a number of other processes. A drill press and a belt grinder would allow one to hack out a solution if they really wanted too.

None of these alternatives though I probably suitable for your garage. There you need to decide between either a router or a mill in my opinion. If it was me I'd tend to lean towards a router, due more to other reasons.

Thanks Wizard, I was eyeballing a Torchmate 2x2 Growth series since you could run a plasma or router setup with it

2 axis CNC knee mill would probably work for you. they usually have a long x axis. manual z axis. so set the depth, run the pocket, lift, move, set depth again for next pocket. and outer profile can be done without changing the z axis at all. might work very well for you. there are tons and tons and tons of them on ebay and craigslist..probably the most common mill out there in the used market is a 2 axis CNC knee mill....ive seen very nice ones for $3500, all cleaned up and tested..

if you want total automation you can add cnc to the z axis for not too much more.

these are not particularly large machines either..a 2500 to 3000lb machine would do what you need