586,108 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My First Aluminum Test

This was my first real milling test on aluminum. The 1/8" bit needs to have the chips cleaned or it will break so I added a tiny blower that runs off a small air brush compressor.

Im making som small clamps to use on the mill.

See more here:
    Building the KRmc1 CNC
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

good luck

You'd be able to go MUCH deeper and faster using a 2-flute in aluminum.....

Regards,
    Ray L.

At 9 IPM with a 3/4" stickout I'm getting about .0003 deflection on the 2 flute bit. Changing to a 2 flute .03 DOC and the same feed rate would get me .0005 deflection. I did this and while it was a little faster on the cut. The finish was not as good.

As it stands I could go a little deeper even with the four flute. .03 DOC would yield a .0005 deflection. .04 would yield a .0007. I was being a little conservative since this was my last 1/8" end mill.

In all this, the most important aspect of this part was blowing the chip out of the kerf.

The good news is that I just upgraded the mill with a Mach3 controlled spindle controller. The brushless motor now has an upward limit of 3200RPM. This lets me increase my feed rate. I can get a DOC of .03 with a feed rate of 12.8 and still only have a deflection of .0006. But I reduce the job time almost in half.

Bottom line though, if you only have one end mill, take it easy
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    The good news is that I just upgraded the mill with a Mach3 controlled spindle controller. The brushless motor now has an upward limit of 3200RPM. This lets me increase my feed rate. I can get a DOC of .03 with a feed rate of 12.8 and still only have a deflection of .0006. But I reduce the job time almost in half.
    3200 RPM? I suspect that should have been 32,000 RPM.

Milling aluminum is always fun. Thanks for posting.

Looks great! Can't wait till I get to make clamps for my machine.

Sure would like to know why this was moved out of the benchtop forum? This definatly not the place for the post.

probably because the only reason you are posting is to advertise your books for sale

I have readers who frequent these forums, and as long as I present information and examples, what is the difference. If I had not posted an earlier message about my book, the post would have been like any other on the forum.

Several individuals use these forums to support the community. I am no different.

no you are trying to skirt the rules and get free advertising to make a buck, look at your signature, it's nothing but advertising your books. want to be legit then buy ad space with cnczone.