586,096 active members*
3,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 1 Tooling System

I had one on my new CHCNC TK mill. Its ok, and I might have really liked it on something like a Bridgeport manual mill, but the single source for tool kind of bugged me as did the price as compared to other R8 tooling. I removed it. For now I am running a Kwik 200 master holder since I already had a bunch of Kwik 200 tool holders. Now I can actually use pre measured tools and use the tool table. I may switch to a TTS stle system in the future, but for now the Kwik 200 stuff serves my needs.

Anyway, I don't plan to use the Mach 1 system on anything I have now. I ws thinking about using it on my manual mill, but I got a deal on a second Kwik 200 master holder for it, and I am going just box up the Mach 1 System. I have several R8 collets with the Mach 1 pull stud, 4 collars for collets, 3 tool holders, and a couple other things. I'll sell them (as a lot) for 60% of what new ones cost from Mach 1. If nobody here is interested, I'll put them on Ebay. If somebody buys the lot I'll throw in the cap and drawbar assembley, and tool holding fixture and collar wrench all together.

Its a really neat idea, and I think some people will like it, but its just not for me. I hope that somebody who likes it will snatch mine up and save some money on extra tool holders so they can be more efficient.

I put this here in the Charter Oak board first becaue Charter Oak offers the system as an option on their mills, and I figured one of you guys might be using it. I'll post in the classifieds later, and if I don't get any interest it will go on Ebay sometime next week.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Re: Mach 1 Tooling System

Hey Bob,
    How do you like the kwik-switch tooling? I've been looking at the Mach-1 system but it's not too friendly for machines without quills. An air cylinder or lever action would have to be made. There is very little info on the kwik-switch system but I like the idea of it. A little salty for some of the tooling, but not too bad. Does it seem rigid?
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

In a Kwik 200 spindle like the stock quill in many older Hurco and Bridgeport mills Kwik 200 is very good. With a Kwik 200 / R8 taper master holder the ridgidty is going to be less than just using a straight R8 collet or tool holder in the spindle. I grabbed a couple master molders because I already had a bunch of Kwik 200 tool holders, and it was a lot cheaper than buying more proprietary single source Mach 1 modified R8 tool holders. It is also not as fast to swap as the Mach1 needing a spindle lock and sometimes a spanner, but there is no significant risk of slippage. I had one instance of slippage witht he Mach 1 with calculated HP loads within the range of the machine. I suppose I could have opened it up, and tightened the spring, but I had the option of going Kwik 200 and no likelihood of slippage so I went that way.

Eventually if I use this machine more for my primary machining business though I'll probably swap it to an air assisted TTS style setup. My intent with my Charter Oak machine is to use it to make parts for my other machines, but I've been so busy lately its been being used as a primary machine.

I really like the concept of the Mach 1 system, and I already miss the quick tool changes it afforded, but I don't miss having to unlock and lock the quill to use it. I much prefer to be able to keep the quill all the way up and permanently locked as I can with my master holder setup.

In more direct answer to your question. I would not go out an buy a Kwik 200 master holder as my first choice for an improvement to a machine if I didn't already have 20+ Kwik Switch holders in my tool rack.
    Bob La Londe

How about $600 plus actual shipping (domestic). Even if you just want the collets and tool holders that's a smoking price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 1 -1.jpg   Mach 1 -2.jpg  
    Bob La Londe