586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 49 of 422 3947484950515999149
    Hi, I am also new to this kind of project. I do not think that there is a dumb question. Only people that do no know the answer at this time. I hope that you continue to read and respond to the different threads. I just retired today, Jan 1, 2008. I also hope to be able to set up a business using CNC machines and my meager knowledge on electronics and woodworking. I have several ideas and plan to work on them this winter and spring

first post...

hi all

ive been working with stone machinery for a while now (design and construction). http://www.scandinvent.com/index.html

i sold the company last year and have now plans for starting up a small business focused on small and compact cnc-plasma´s.

i´ll post some pics later...

jps

Hi, I am a newbie looking for information on building a 5X12 Downdraft Plasma Table. Dose any one know where I can get plans or information on downdraft tables?

Kind regards Noel

My CNC history

To the request as to where are my postings, I will relate my CNC history. I am not am engineer, but have been tinkering for 48 years so far, in initially my bedroom as a kid, through shared garages, taken over garages and now garages and heated sheds. Is this making it to the big time! I now have to wear glasses with large numbers of diopters for close up work and my left hand bears numerous white lines from old injuries, I am right handed and the best (worst) requiring 60 stitches is on my right hand. Not very clever for a medic.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    I decided to have a go at CNC after attending a model makers show and ordered a Wabeco CNC mill with 4 axes and the german DOS based software, I was running Windows 2000 by then. I was told that this was not a problem. Eventuly the machine arrived: it required a dongle to run the software and the board was designed to make it incompatible with other software. Upgrades were very expensive and multi axis moves were impossible. One stepper motor was mis-wired and the software was a total nightmare. It also took a month to get the second parallel port running to drive the fourth axis. This debacle meant that in reality 2 years later I had got nowhere.
    <o></o>
    Then came Steve to the rescue. Steve is very good at engineering and electronics and works from home. He worked out how the board worked, hacked into it, brought out the appropriate wires, designed and etched a bespoke breakout board with opto-isolators and then with a copy of Mach 2 got the whole machine up and running. Since then I have fitted Accu Rite digital read out struts (DROs), which can be read by Mach 3 directly. Note this point well as it means that if you can get your hands on old Accu Rite struts or similar you do not have to buy one of those grossly overpriced read out boxes. Any old computer with a copy of Mach3 can be used in isolation without the CNC bit. It is also possible to cut down the struts with great care to fit a small lathe! Steve has also done this for me. I use this system on the mill with a measuring monocular microscope held in the collet system with the Perspex shield lug to hold it still and move it over a component to measure it, prior to converting it to G code as a copying technique. I do have a Logitech view cam available with centre cam software (cross hair) which is jogged from Mach3 to do the same thing, this is read into a wizard which you tell whether it is a straight or curved move, it prompts you for the point (one for a line and two for a curve) and creates the g code as you go. This is care of Steve again. This is still embryonic, but does work, however I have a new software problem in that I cannot get into the config screens on Mach3 even after reloading windows XP pro and I think that it is due to something in the cross hair software. I will have to trash Windows and reload it again, this time trying to delete all document and settings data.
    <o></o>
    I have also bought a Deckel FP4 NC from e-bay very cheaply and this is excercising the mind somewhat. It had a problem which turned out to be a duff servo motor driver board, which was £1400 to replace with the cost of the call out on top. I only paid twice this for the whole machine in good condition. Steve came to the rescue again and essentially replaced every componenton the double sided complex board. The ics were changed first with the capacitors – no good – then eventually the transistors and it worked – total cash cost £18 and a huge mountain of indebtedness.
    <o></o>
    If I was starting again I would
    <o></o>
    1: get a cheap old computer – greater than 1 gigaherz with windows 98se or 2000 or XP

2. load Mach 3
    <o></o>
    3. get a cheap low power stepper driver and tiny stepper motor and practice wiring it up and driving it on the desk top. Eg arceurotrade.co.uk ($60 and $20) The dollar rate is lousy at the moment for the US but this shows the type of kit available let alone second hand or from the scrap yard. The big units from arceuro will easily drive a Bridgeport
    <o></o>
    4 look for second hand ball screws in the scrap yards or on e bay (can be metric or imperial – take care when setting up a machine) Look out for second hand DROs and stepper motors. The motors on larger CNC industrial systems are normally servo- motors. Mach3 can run these but different drivers and the encoders are needed.
    <o></o>
    5 If going for 4 axis try getting a second parallel port running. Reloading windows with the card in may be necessary for this. It will appear to install but will not run the stepper driver/motor. Create some g code and view it in simulated cutting mode in Mach 3

6 if being successful and beginning to learn what can be achieved, go for the full system and get the Mach 3 licence. The frame can be extruded aluminium and as flimsy or strong as you desire. It could run a cheap wood router, plasma cutter, mill, lathe, engraver, measuring machine etc. Remember if milling steel get as rigid a structure as possible that is the U shape from the table up the back of the machine and forward to the cutter. Cast iron is good, steel fabrication is possible, but when tried by Steve even with multiple bracing plates the cutter will move sideways a thou or so with just pressure from ones’ thumb. Steve has sourced the guts of an Aciera and is just making a new machine, the progress can be seen on http://www.flickr.com/photos/10205288@N08/
    This is the third machine that he has made and is the largest. The previous ones were not accurate enough or rigid enough and were home fabricated. He is trying to get to a tenth of a thou! Most of the extra kit is for the scrap yard with fabricated and re-sprayed casings.
    <o></o>
    7 I create the G code myself and am just trying using a cheap version of turbo cad ($20) from e bay with Lazycam (Mach3 included) I am too tight to buy one of very expensive packages!
    <o></o>
    I am now 4 years into this and still learning like mad. I hope that some of this information is useful to someone. John
    <o></o>

Hi all
    29y.o
    Croatia,Cnc Programmmer,Rover A3.30,biesseworks,ACD,furniture design

new to the world

I am a fairly new servo motor technician in the great state of Ohio. My back ground is primarily in electronics but wanted a change from the norm. There is always something new and challenging in this field. This site gives me a chance to get familar with the types of applications that the motors I repair are used on.

Thanks Everyone

Hello everyone,

Just a newbie here. I just completed my CNC router (other than a couple tweeks needed). I'm running a stepper world SP3 hobbyist kit with the latest Kcam software. This project took me about a month to build. So far I have made a couple signs and look forward to learning/cutting more.

Thank you everyone for allowing a former lurker to learn by reading questions others had.

Great forum with lots of great advice.

I am getting closer to mine,digging out all the stuff it got buried under.I really took to big a bite for my first router.The table is 48"x 48" and now about 500 lbs. I got my x and y assemblys. done and finishing my z. My whole stuff got seriously delayed when I fell at work in 05.since then I have gotten two surgeries,including a double fusion.About 12 injections. I really need some shop therapy. and all the good friends here. Thanks for all the replys.
    Bill

Hi everyone.

Just buying a CNC Thermwood 5'x 10' and 90% production is for cabinet kitchen and the 10 % it's for my pleasure.

So I will be ready for cutting carbon graphit sheet for RC community.
    No matther how,,,, I will do it.

Hi,
    I'm also a "low count" poster, but I watch interested various treads. Because CNC is only my hobby, and my CNC conversion project has no milling machine yet :-( , I will also in near future no heavy poster. Anyway, I would be very unhappy to get thrown out of the forum because of my low post counter. (I find the Mail helpful, maybe a "editor's Pick" category with interesting or/and curious treads would be nice)

Post a "hello" for the new member as a part of registration and then the current members can say "hello" back.

New Member Re-Post

Hi all,
    I have to apologise for possibly posting this before in the incorrect place & still am not sure how to post at all on this forum but,
    I have been using a Atlas 618 for the past year & a half, so I do concider myself still a newbe to turning metal. The 618 was loaned to me by a neighbor and took very little TLC to get it working again from being idle for several years. Not being able to purchase it from my neighbor (sentimental reasons), I just yesterday placed an order to Grizzly for A G4000 & after realizing the 3/4" HS opening, I re-called the factory & upgraded my order to the new G0602 10 X 22 that has the 1" HS opening. Estimated delivery by Thursday or Friday of next week.... Really looking forward to making curls on the new machine. Looking forward to learning new things on this forum....
    Lee (Sacemoi)

"New G0602 Arrives"

Hello All,
    To follow up on my last (2nd) post, Wednesday 01/09 my new
    G0602 Lathe arrived. The lift gate service is definitely a must for home delivery...Well, right off I could see what others have been saying about the crating from the factory as the lathe support crate crossmembers had broken allowing the lathe to go through the bottom of the container. In addition to the supports being too small & frail there is a hole drilled through each for the bolts attaching the lathe, producing a weak point in the support.
    The lathe (headstock end) had gone through the bottom of the crate & the weight was being supported by lead screw resting on the toolbox. After uncrating & lifting the lathe off of the lower part of the crate & toolbox, I noticed several places on the lower part of the base had paint missing, due to the 5", 4 jaw chuck (unsecured) comming in contact during transportation.
    After examining the lead screw, I determined that no significent damage had occured to it, although the toolbox was trashed. Seeing this having happened to other members from pictures posted, I took several pictures of the damaged crate, paint damage & bent up toolbox & attached to an E-Mail to Grizzly along with suggestions on how to improve their shipping containers.
    I have received two calls from Grizzly, thanked for providing them with pictures of where their containers failed & was told the information was being forwarded to the shipping department for review.....so hopefully this action will allow others to receive their new G0602 lathe in better condition in the future.........I got her all de-greased, run-in & mounted her to the repainted bench in her new home ready to take on some turning.........
    Lee (Sacemoi)

Still Here

Hi All,
    Still here, and visit daily, but have been very busy cutting, engraving
    electrical panels and not able to post.
    So I shot this off real quick.

Thanks to all,
    Al Byrne

Post Processor

Looking to replace wincnc post, can't get any tect support. Fairly new at this cnc programing. Have had many problems with machine and they all go back to the wincnc, ini file. I've had enough, and I'm ready to replace the whole program. I running a 3-axis router, (3d, wood milling only) Can you please lead me to a good company that can help me out.........Thanks Buck
    [email protected]

Hello from Switzerland
    I`m on the way to buy my second cnc, and I`m interested to know what people wordwide think about quality and experience.

NEW TO THE FORUM

Hi , running mazak mills and lathes. mazatrol and mastercam software

just got a mori horizontal and a daewoo lathe, so I might need some help here. Mazak i know well, the others still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by bfeer2000 View Post
    Hi all, my name is Bevan and i am an older fellow who does a bit of aluminium casting at home and would love one of these machines. My ideas of joining this group was to see if i can work out how to build one of these fine machines. So far i have just been reading the replys and doing some homework. Thanks for all the info so far. Bevan. ( PS. I forgot to mention that i am from in the Wide Bay Burnett area in Queensland, Australia )
    Hi Bevan.

I'am living in, Bundaberg.
    I made a machine, started 4 years ago, and it is running.
    If you wish you can send me a E-mail: [email protected]
    I am not a big wreighter, but maybe I can give you som advice.

Regards Jorgen

new to cnc.

Hello my name is Mark. I am interested in getting or building a cnc router. I am woodworker makeing mostly furniture. I have never used a cnc machine before but looks like fun. I am just looking to learn everything I can about these machines before I make the leap.

Hi all, new to the forum. I've had a very serious interest in CNC for about 5 years, but am just getting around to doing something about it. I've got plenty of machining experience with manual machines, but no CNC. Gunsmith by profession x 27 years. I mostly try to learn by reading the posts, that way I won't be annoying! I love the site and have started buying supplies for a build or conversion. Thanks for all the good information!

Page 49 of 422 3947484950515999149