586,633 active members*
3,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 26 of 422 1624252627283676126

Unhappy Lost

I am a newbie, and a new member. I have not had the time to read all FAQs as yet, but tried to find how to post to the introductions forum. The FAQ says to click on the big button that says "new thread".
    Now where is this page ? I am probably dumber than most, but I need help in ALL matters, including how to post.
    If I am posting to the(wrong) forum, I apologize unreservedly. I am retired, and am interested in model engineering, own a sherline lathe and mill. I have the CNC conversion kit for the mill and DeskNC software but have not yet actually modified the mill. Before mucking up my sherline mill, I thought I will build the simplest CNC machine first. That way I can make all the mistakes I want and not lose/damage my mill.
    I am also have reasonable skill in electronics and model railroading (HO & N).
    I will be grateful for some suggestions on where to start.
    Thanks, Arvind

Hi All!

Hello,
    I'm a manufacturing engineer and new to this forum. I am not a home hobbyist for now, maybe when the kids get older? I use mastercam and also autodesk inventor during my many daily duties. I joined Cnczone for some possible help if i ever run into trouble or add my two cents if there is somthing i can help with. At this point I am in the middle of setting up three new mazaks and trying to learn the intagrex. From the looks of things there are alot of knowledgeable people on here. I guess that is all for now.

Thanks, Jim

Here's where I've been... Mostly in the hospital. I've been losing most of my life to Crohn's disease, and have been looking to use a CNC router setup to do custom artwork to hopefully make a living. So far my build is coming along okay, but with my health wobbling so much lately, I've been having a tough time.
    My dad has helped me build a few parts, and a long-time friend volunteered a couple hours of time to make a couple of others.
    When my machine starts to look more like a machine, instead of a pile of random parts, I will start posting pictures. I'll get my own thread going with what I've built, and why i've built it that way. (so far I've built most of it)

Chime-ing in.

Just chiming in. I'm a CNC service tech with an independent company in Washington state. I'm sure to be stumped if questioned but enjoy milling (no pun intended) around the zone. Some interesting, some funny but always enjoyable forum here.

I'm an engineer, RC Pilot and CNC foamcutting rookie

Hi,
    This is a neat thread. I'm not sure but this might be my first post on this forum. I usually hang out on the www.RCGroup.com forum and discuss sailplanes, but, since I recently built a CNC Foamcutter, I've found myself over in this forum more then my airplane hangout.

After building my foamcutter, I succeeded in getting a fellow engineer involved. He told me he "always wanted to build a CNC mill". Keep in mind, I was perfectly happy cutting foam until John kept bothering me with questions about CNC router details. So together we started researching a CNC router, which of course led me here.

Before you know it, I'm hooked on building a router too.
    I should start cutting MDF soon.
    Dave

Edit: Yup this is my first post.

oops

oops, double post.

just saying hello

I have been reading posts in the cnc zone for a long time now. a very good source of info.

I am attempting to scratch build a cnc gantry mill from alumininium extrusion, thk rails, and ball screws. I hope to get 300mm x 300mm x 150mm travel and good to 0.001" in any direction. hopefully sturdy enough to mill stianless. We'll see.

Currently it going to be stepper based but if mk1 sucedds maybe mk2 might be bigger with servos.maybe 4th axis etc.

Well thats the theory! Currently in the process of moving the workshop then i hope to get going. I am purely an amatuer based in Jersey which is a tiny island 80 miles of the south coast of the uk.

Simon

New and lost

Enjoying reading the many and varied comments in hope they will help me choose a good combination router/plasma machine to do sign work and what
    this old fart laughingly calls art.

New members and Non Posters

I'm Neil Robertson from Invercargill New Zealand. Home of the Worlds Fastest Indian (Motorcycle film).
    I have a Matchmaker (Shizuoka ) cnc mill that had Posidata 2800 system.
    I shipped it 12,000 miles from UK to the bottom end of New Zealand and under the instructions from Eagland machine tools UK converted it to Ahha system using Dolphin cam and Generic cad ver. 6 for the dxf files.

This is one of only two machines within 150 miles. and the recent job has been to machine 4x 4340 connecting rods for an old Ace motorcycle rebuild.
    This engine was used in Indian,Henderson, and the above bikes.- along with early aircraft engines.
    I have VDF lathe .Cincinatti Mill ,Surface grinder from the workshop that Burt Munro ( Worlds Fastest Indian engineer) frequented.
    I'm an ex dairy/sheep farmer,Have aircraft engineers license and a Commercial.
    Had interests in Tiger Moth ,Piper Twin Comanchie, Victa Airtourer, and Taylor Monoplane aircraft, 1600 hr.
    Have parts built for HCI radial engine ( 5 cylinder)
    Make mainly one offs for folk with the above interests My workshop equipment is in the x dairy shed and the swarfe goes into the pit.
    It is cleaner work and now a different smell
    Neil Robertson
    "Lathes-Mills & Cnc."
    Invercargill

Talking Baxter O'Brien

Hi to all: I'm new to all this but very interested after seeing my friends home built cnc router setup. I'd be interested in building my own set up but wouldnt know where to start. I'm open to suggestions. Booge

Hi all

I was trained in using/programing a cnc mill like 14 years ago while they was still using punch cards and everything had to be programmed by hand.

Well now I'm looking into getting myself some small cnc machines so I can realize some projects I have eg. Sterling Engines.

But I'm looking until my accountant (Read wife) tells me that I can spend the money.

Regards

Meffe_dk

Hi Meffe_dk;
    I am in Babinda, 40 mins south of Cairns North Queensland.
    Sure am aching to build a routing machine,dunno where to start.

Hey Booge,
    I decided to build the jgro table because of the excellent plans and easy build. If you are an expert wood craftsman, then consider the Joe2006 table.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

As far as electronics I can tell you what I own. I own the HobbyCNC.com components. This kit is really a kit, all the pieces come in a bag, and you have to solder them together. Great kit. Easy to assemble, but be warned, you need a desire to solder for this kit. This kit is cost effective for the budget minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Booge View Post
    Hi to all: I'm new to all this but very interested after seeing my friends home built cnc router setup. I'd be interested in building my own set up but wouldnt know where to start. I'm open to suggestions.
    Dave

Booge

Hey all I'm here automotive wise.

I want to make flanges adaptors, brackets, housings + more.

Sad thing is I dont understand anything here !

I want to get started.
    Eh? Maintaining techniques is a must, thats why there is
    practice!

First Post

Arhg, had a nice long new post and it got lost when I tried to add a pic

Anyway this is my first post and looking for a little help.

Just got an Emco Super 11 with mill head (4th lathe, 3rd mill) and I am trying to refit a Wabeco that got burned up in a fire.

The mill had Nema34 steppers and I would like to stay with them. Need advice on software that is user freindly (draw a picture, pick tools and go) if that is possible. I had OneCNC for it before which seemed good, but I never made a cut.

Any input would be welcome but right now I am leaning towards the OneCNC or Mach/Rhino again.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emco 11 Side s.jpg   Wabeco Mill AF s.jpg  

Still reading and learning

Hi All,
    At the moment, I am a raw beginner to this process. I keep silent because I am trying to absorb as much infomation as possible before taking the initiative to build a CNC machine myself. I like to learn from others before plunging into the something I know very little about....
    My plan is to built a very small labelling machine or "stamper" to mark key blanks as a start. I am trying to make an X - Y axis with available materials... It is difficult to start because of my poor technical knowledge.
    Also I need to think of software to run it. I have in my possession many computers from 486 to Pentiums etc. as I am in IT....
    Maybe someone can suggest something, which will be much appreciated.
    All journey begins with a first step..so I am at the start of my first step.
    I'll post my experience when I get there, now I'm just reading up and trying to learn .
    Thanks for all of you who are sharing your experiences, this is a very good community of people who can share their experiences and knowledge. We need people in this world who do not think of just money only. (I know that we all need money to survive but we don't have to make it our GOD)
    Regards
    Prosper

Prosper,
    Go to www.hobbyCNC.com. They sell the controller board and stepper motors. If you want to go the total hobby DIY mode, this is a good place to purchase the electronics. This company sells printed circuit boards and all the components, with great instructions. I did it and don't regret it. If you have a bigger budget, then there are other options. I you can't or won't solder, then prepare to spend more money.
    Dave

Hi Glidergider

Hi Glidergider,
    Thanks for your info. Appreciate your assistance.
    I'll go through the website later and check them out. It will take some time for me to go through this as I work full time and live alone, so there are many other things to do in a day.
    Have a nice week and thanks again.
    Best Regards
    Prosper

Hey Prosper, where in Queensland are you ? If you are near Cairns you could drop in and have a look at my router, might help you with ideas...

Booge, have you decided on a path to take for your machine ?... I have been looking for a reasonable source for steppers for you, no luck so far... I will keep looking.

Russell.

Thanks for the welcome Im just checking things out and getting my toes wet.

Page 26 of 422 1624252627283676126