586,110 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Stepper Motor Driver MA860H power supply connection

Stepper Motor Driver MA860H power supply connection

Hi all,

I just got 4 new stepper motor drivers from eBay, which are MA860H. The manual states that it can take DC and AC power, but the terminals for AC and DC are the same! I have found one reference specifying the outer AC connector is Ground and the other V+. I just thought I ask the question here in the forum if that is a correct "assumption" before I connect a 48V 750W DC power supply based on that assumption and turn the driver into a paper weight.

These drivers are for 1600ozin Nema34 motors, which are rated at 3.5A and the drivers are rated at 7.2A peak.

Thanks for all comments.

Regards,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by airtruk View Post
    The manual states that it can take DC and AC power, but the terminals for AC and DC are the same! I have found one reference specifying the outer AC connector is Ground and the other V+. I just thought I ask the question here in the forum if that is a correct "assumption" before I connect a 48V 750W DC power supply based on that assumption and turn the driver into a paper weight.
    Although I have not used that driver, I do not agree with your assumption. My interpretation is that you can hook up the DC V+ and ground connections to either input terminal.

My guess is that the power input terminals are applied to a bridge rectifier, which is the device that makes it possible for the driver to handle either AC or DC input, as well as handling DC input to either terminal.

If you give it some thought, you will see how an AC signal reverses polarity on the input terminals 60 times per second (here in the USA, or perhaps 50 times where you live), whereas hooking up a DC power supply means that you choose the polarity just once, but it's otherwise the same concept. (Well, actually the AC reverses polarity every half cycle, so it's actually 120 times per second)

For an explanation, see Diode bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's what I thought. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by airtruk View Post
    Hi all,

I just got 4 new stepper motor drivers from eBay, which are MA860H. The manual states that it can take DC and AC power, but the terminals for AC and DC are the same! I have found one reference specifying the outer AC connector is Ground and the other V+. I just thought I ask the question here in the forum if that is a correct "assumption" before I connect a 48V 750W DC power supply based on that assumption and turn the driver into a paper weight.

These drivers are for 1600ozin Nema34 motors, which are rated at 3.5A and the drivers are rated at 7.2A peak.

Thanks for all comments.

Regards,

Alex
    For DC connection to the Leadshine drive you would just connect the V+ and V- of the PSU to the V+ and V- of the drive, respectively. I think however that with those gigantic steppers, you will lose torque pretty rapidly at 48V.