586,121 active members*
3,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ideas to fixture this part!

I probably cannot share the drawing for this part but pretty simple. It is Titanium, blank size is 3/16 thick x 2W, x 3L. The part is mostly profiled but with some minor pocketing on both sides. No through holes. Part looks similar to a chevrolet emblem.

I am just not sure how to fixture this. I might normally setup the first op in step jaws at full 3/16 deep, machine what I could and fixture on those features on the flip but there are no features I can really fixture on...Because this is Ti, I need a firm grip on it. I am not sure how little I can get away with in step jaws. Could I do as little as .040? That does not seem enough.

Not sure if this suggestion will suit your needs but in extreme cases I have been able to machine thin parts (mainly in the lathe) by super gluing them to another piece of stock. I use industrial grade super glue, clamp together, allow 24 hours to cure and am 'relatively' conservative in my cuts. It might take a little longer than I would like but at least the job gets done. To remove the part from the stock just hit it with the heat gun (not literally lol)

Quote Originally Posted by bob1112 View Post
    I probably cannot share the drawing for this part but pretty simple. It is Titanium, blank size is 3/16 thick x 2W, x 3L. The part is mostly profiled but with some minor pocketing on both sides. No through holes. Part looks similar to a chevrolet emblem.

I am just not sure how to fixture this. I might normally setup the first op in step jaws at full 3/16 deep, machine what I could and fixture on those features on the flip but there are no features I can really fixture on...Because this is Ti, I need a firm grip on it. I am not sure how little I can get away with in step jaws. Could I do as little as .040? That does not seem enough.
    you may have to go to the next level of inconvenience and think about drilling and tapping for screws in the back of the part to hold it to a fixture, if there is enough thickness to do that. or adding tabs that you can mount the part with, machining 99% of it, then clamping the part in place on its face while you machine the tabs off