586,036 active members*
3,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Question for trotline

Question for trotline

Did you ever cut the 1860 revolver pattern.If you did cut them do you have pictures anywhere.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Nope, I never did cut that one. The tutorial was just meant as a walk-through for some of the various Embossing tools. I can, though, and honestly, now that I think about it, I wonder why I never did... Your timing is great, as I just set up a table for a 2-month craft show. I've been in "crunch time" for a couple of weeks, but now I have some time for fun stuff. I'll try to cut one in the next few days, in between making more stock for the show.

I should also make some new videos. I've gotten a few new things just about dialed in, recently. The most interesting is, (or will be, once it's proven out), hidden joinery for making boxes, or other mitered joints. I did the first ones to get a feel for solid modeling in BobCAD, but I went back to it recently, with almost a year of experience with the software, and the results so far have been promising. I'm still tweaking the hand-finishing work out of the file, so to speak, but it's close...

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

A second question ? How is the half hull tut doing.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

The hull has been a major pain in the toccis... It's easy to make a simple surface from the 3D hull lines, but that's not really true to the lines of the actual hull. It looks fine from a distance, and is probably OK for a small model, but actually making the "plank" structure as it exists in the true hull is an annoyance, to say the least. The issue is that the geometry needs to be VERY close to perfect to allow the theory of making the hull to work in practice. Little things like a point being 0.001 out of alignment wrecks the process.

I'll post something in the next few days that at least outlines the problems I've been encountering. (Even failures are worth seeing, to learn where problems crop up, and why.) I've held off posting anything because I keep thinking I have some great idea that fixes everything, but I keep falling flat... This is one of those places where the theory is great, but the practice makes you want to just go flip burgers, instead...

Along those lines, something just occurred to me that, if it works, will fix everything... rofl, we'll see, once I've tried it.

Luke

Here's part 1 of the "3-view to 3D" tutorial. It covers steps to go from a flat 3-view drawing to a 3D wireframe. I'll get the 2nd part posted in a day or two, covering skinning the wireframe and stitching it into a solid, and some of the issues that can crop up when trying to get twisty surfaces to behave.

Hope this is helpful!

Luke

Re: Question for trotline

Well, I'm bringing this one back from the dead for a bit. I spent waaaay too much time beating my head against a post trying to get good surfaces generated over the wireframe, but no matter how I massaged the base geometry, I always ran into trouble at the pointy, twisty forward ends of the two bottom panels. I finally just shelved it, and forgot about it. Sometimes, when I'm too close to a problem, and time allows, that's the best way forward.

Don occasionally ribbed me about finishing it, though, so it never completely left my mind, and last night, an approach I hadn't tried occurred to me. Worked like a charm. So now, I'm officially sticking a fork in this project. It's done.

http://<a href="https://www.youtube....jJ6pxyuo3w</a>

Luke

Wow! If I learn to be half as good as you are I'll be happy. Thanks for sharing. I have learned lots from you and others here.

Ronnie

Great video. Good lesson and a nice job. :wee:

Cloud Rider, sharing and learning is what the forum's all about. Glad you found it helpful.

Gallchobhair, thanks.

Luke