586,035 active members*
3,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > g0704 z axis not moving well with driect drive

g0704 z axis not moving well with driect drive

I am converting a g0704 to cnc. Got the X and Y working well. The Z axis moves pretty easy by the hand wheel, but my 570 steppers wont hardly move the z down very smoothly. Moving the Z up I have to help with the hand wheel to get it to even move. In Mach 3 under motor tuning the best i can get it to move is with the 30" a minute, and 6" velocity.

Am I going to have to go to a larger motor, or go to the gear and belt drive option?

KL-650 stepper motor drivers
    C-10 parrallel break out board
    KL 600-48 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply
    nema 23 570 oz (KL23H2100-50-8B)

If I have to go with the belt and gears, where do I order them, and sizes do I need?

David

Quote Originally Posted by dude_chevy View Post
    I am converting a g0704 to cnc. Got the X and Y working well. The Z axis moves pretty easy by the hand wheel, but my 570 steppers wont hardly move the z down very smoothly. Moving the Z up I have to help with the hand wheel to get it to even move. In Mach 3 under motor tuning the best i can get it to move is with the 30" a minute, and 6" velocity.

Am I going to have to go to a larger motor, or go to the gear and belt drive option?

KL-650 stepper motor drivers
    C-10 parrallel break out board
    KL 600-48 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply
    nema 23 570 oz (KL23H2100-50-8B)

If I have to go with the belt and gears, where do I order them, and sizes do I need?

David
    I don't have direct experience with that setup, so I'm not sure that I can address your question directly, but...

My apologies if you've already been through this - if X and Y are hooked up completely identically to Z (after double checking), then you should ignore the following:

(BTW, I'm guessing that's a typo and it's a KL-6050 driver, not KL-650)

Your motor has 8 wires - are you certain that you have it wired for bipolar parallel (and not accidentally series), and that some wires are not swapped or making poor contact?

Have you verified that the DIP switches are set correctly? Maybe unset and reset them just to make sure that they're making proper contact? If the driver current is being set incorrectly, you may see markedly reduced torque. When the motors are sitting there under power but not moving, does the Z motor heat up about as much as the X and Y motors? (although differences in mounting between the X, Y and Z motors could lead to differences in heat sinking, if they are drawing the same amount of current you might expect them to be roughly the same temperature)