586,115 active members*
3,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Plasma cutter torch height control

Does the new Cam Soft sonic torch height control use an axis on the Galil card or is it an independent device? My gantry has the original ESAB torch carriers but they only have a 90 volt DC motor. we rigged up a DC motor control with 2 position joy stick to adjust the Oxy Fuel torch up and down, and this works OK for travel speed under 20 ipm. Using the plasma Machine torch in this carrier at 80 ipm and you can't keep it adjusted .1" above a warped plate with out arcing out the tip on occasion and having to restart the cut. My neighbor has a very large metal art job to do and I need to get a plasma torch and height control working properly. Trouble is I don't know exactly what properly is, as I have never seen a $150,000.00 commercial plasma cutter in action. If it is necessary I could retrofit the DC motor with a servo motor in the torch carrier, or does an M code turn on the auto height adjustment independent of X and Y machine movement. I have 4 axis card and the Z axis is still open, Original plan was to install Bridgeport head for drilling and tapping holes in large plate. Need ideas of the best way to do this with the most trouble free operation. The wife is starting to show interest in cutting out metal art and I need something dependable so I am not having to do her stuff and trying to keep 4 machines programmed and set up ahead of operators doing real work.

Thank You
    The Farmer

beijingess Guest
    When you are cutting with plasma power source of any brand it is always better to have an automatic torch height controls (THC). This is assure you the cutting quality, improve the life of torch consumables and also protect the torch from damage. SteelTailor as a portable CNC machine manufacture has such THC which are independent in the operation and is not dependent on the plasma power source. This model THC’s adjust the height by sensing the ARC voltage of the plasma output. SteelTailor also has THC for flame (oxy fuel) cutting with auto height controls. For oxy fuel height control they use capacitive sensing for its operation. SteelTailor also has THC that can do both plasma and flame height controls using one THC.

SteelTailor portable CNC economic cutting machines has models which are especially suitable for the artistic cutting craft jobs. Smart series of SteelTailor is a good choice for people who are in the art craft industry. Since the machines are economic, light weight design, easy to operate and are very good for metal work starters. Doesn’t need a metal craft expert to operate the machine.