586,036 active members*
3,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > New Haas Super Mini Mill (Odorless Coolant)

New Haas Super Mini Mill (Odorless Coolant)

Hi Everyone,

I recently got a new Haas Super Mini Mill for in-house prototyping, and it is amazing! I am familiar with cnc milling, but I don't know much about cutting fluid. My first instinct would be to buy the first cutting fluid I see on grainger or elsewhere, but I really need an "odorless" coolant so I don't stink up the rest of our facility with the scent of oil. Does that exist? Is semi-synthetic coolant odorless? I was looking at TRIM products, but I am not sure.

I would appreciate any advice on coolant selection.

(P.S. I would like general purpose fluid for aluminum, and steels)

Thanks!

Practically all the water mixed coolants are odorless when they are fresh. Practically all the water mixed coolants will have a very obnoxious smell when they are stale and contaminated with tramp oil. Also even when the coolant is fresh you can get some 'odor' because the machine creates a very fine aerosol mist that escapes from the enclosure.

If it is really important that you do not contaminate the rest of your facility you need to get a good mist extraction system that collects the aerosol, a good tramp oil separator to keep that to a minimum and install either a small bubbler to keep the coolant mix well oxygenated or a small pump that constantly circulates the coolant for the same result.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.