586,655 active members*
3,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Newbie to CNC needs help to setup please.

Newbie to CNC needs help to setup please.

Hi guys,

Up until now i've been getting a local company to do my machining of small metal parts for my business. I've now taken the plunge and bought a small 3 axis milling machine with 3 motors attached. The guy who sold it knows nothing about it as the owner moved to India and is not contactable.

Each of the 3 motors has a cable with 4 wires inside. This is all the information I have.

The unit is very similar to this: Syil X2 CNC Milling Machine | eBay

Am i correct in assuming that all i now need to have a cnc controlled mill, is to connect a PC (with Mach3 software) via a small interface like this? 3 Axis CNC Router TB6560 Stepper Driver + Display + Control Pad + Aluminium Box | eBay

Many thanks for your help in advance!

alan

You're basically correct, but many people on this forum have had problems with that particular control system. Here's an example of a thread that talks about them: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...pdated-54.html

If you want to explore the fascinating world of electronic trouble-shooting (a major hobby around here) investing in one of those would be a good place to start. Otherwise, you might think about getting a Geckodrive G-540 with a 48v power supply.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thanks for your advice Andrew! I just checked out your website, very nice works of art!!!

My main objective is to get this milling machine up and running as quickly and as cheaply as possible. In your expert opinion, do you think i'd be better going for the 6560, or the G540?

Also, i'm thinking of making a little setup like this guy: DIY Dedicated Mach3 CNC Control Panel - YouTube

Any thoughts on this?

thanks again, alan

I forgot to post the details of the 3 motors, there is a sticker that says "Hybrid stepping motor - AC5707645251 - 2005-02-23-60UK"

Does this mean the motor is AC and was manufactured on the 23rd of Feb 2005?

Thanks for your advice Andrew! I just checked out your website, very nice works of art!!!

My main objective is to get this milling machine up and running as quickly and as cheaply as possible. In your expert opinion, do you think i'd be better going for the 6560, or the G540?

thanks again, alan

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i'm thinking of making a little setup like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvhJj1yzqks

Thanks for the kind words about my art work, Alan. That looks like a fairly standard 23-frame DC stepping motor to me. I've attached a PDF with some specs on it. I thought I'd expressed my opinion about those two controllers in a fairly unambiguous way, but maybe I could be clearer yet: avoid the TB6560 like a loathsome disease; get the G-540. That Chinese thing is certainly cheaper, but if you put any value at all on the hair you won't be pulling out by the handful, spend the extra money.

That Mach3 controller looks like a nice piece of work, which is more than I can say about that guy's videography...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 180NcmStepperMotor6mm.pdf  

Thanks Andy, i appreciate your time!!