586,119 active members*
3,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree 1060, please help me compare to other machines. Mori, Okuma?

Tree 1060, please help me compare to other machines. Mori, Okuma?

We are looking at this Tree for consideration due to the larger Y axis. We had a Tree knee years ago and felt they were well built. We need a REAL machine, not a floppy Haas. I am curious if anyone has compared these to others like Mori and Okuma? I would like to learn more about their spindle power rating, torque, rigidity, etc. We would like to run some steels on it as well. I know from experience that a "15HP" rating can be sliced several ways. Constant HP is a whole lot different than 15HP at one rpm. I am hoping Tree did this one up right?

It unfortunately has the Dynapath control though. I know they run well but not that well supported anymore and not my first choice by a long shot...

Solid machines. Also not trouble free. At the time they were new, they would out cut smaller okumas in hard materials. Everything else would blow them away in aluminum. The dynapath just cant keep up with high contour feedrates. Also keep in mind, since Tree is belly up, your only support is a couple guys from ZPS.

Yeah, I don't really like the lack of support. Is there anything that can be done on these controls? We need to machine Aluminum and figured we would run into issues with this...

Not without a retrofit. Better off spending more up front and get something that can handle everything you need, unless you have PLENTY of time to do a retrofit yourself.

Would you know of any other machines of that era (price range) that have an extended Y (24"+) that we could consider? I believe the servos and amps on the Tree are worth using and we are able to retro a new control BUT the question is if we really want to, have the time to, or if that makes financial sense. Seems only much larger machines start to make sense retro fitting them. These smaller ones just cost too much to retro compared to what a better used one is.

Are the Trees box way? Would they have a constant HP spindle? Any place to dig up specs for them?

I believe the 1060 had the same way system as the 840/1050. Roller bearing box way. Best of both worlds. Typically all yaskawa motors and drives. You could try ZPS and ask them. They are in Racine Wi. i believe. Never had ANYONE complain about spindle HP on any of those era machines.

I think I may need to quantify the control performance against some known machines. Old Cadet 4020 and Haas VMC of that same era. We always have to think about contour speed but still have to get things done.

What the heck is a roller bearing box way?