586,036 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Motor Ideas?

Hi.

I'm planning a fun project to finally get my first cnc mill. I've got the ideas for most things down but I'm still not sure about a good spindle motor. I'm finding researching this topic quite difficult because of conflicting information, so I'll ask on here :cheers:

I'd like my mill to have a similar performance to a Tormach PCNC 1100 because this is the mill that I want but can't afford. One of the areas that the Tormach is apparently lacking is in it's spindle power, John NYCCNC did a video to find it's limits and got 1.2 - 1.4hp so I think maybe 2hp would be better for me, for this I'll probably need a 2.5 hp motor to reach my 2hp cutting goals.

This brings me to the question, what type of motor would be suitable for my needs? I think most mills like the Tormach and some real machines use ordinary AC induction motors, but these are heavy, slow and I believe accel-decel slowly so probably not the preferred option.

So what do you guys think would be best for me? Also would like it to be as cheap as possible, sub $1,000 for motor and controller for motor.

Cheers, Fenza

You could try an AC servo motor. Like this:
    Fanuc A06B 0163 B175 AC Servo Motor 1 8KW | eBay

You can't run these with a VFD - you'd have to get a servomotor drive and a power supply for the drive. It could get really complicated, but it could be an interesting way to go. I use a Yaskawa AC servo motor with an AMC brushless drive and a DC power supply to power a hand held spindle sander I made, and it works pretty well.

I got this 3.8 KW AC Servo for one of my machines. It's only 2500 rpm but puts out 5hp and will run on 220v single phase. If you only need 2.5 hp you can just run it 2:1 ratio and have a 5000rpm spindle that you can do ridgid tapping with as well as run a BT30 spindle with ATC. I don't remember what I paid for it but with shipping you should be around $800 I think. If you need other servo's as well I wouldn't think twice about getting one of there kits. There manuals are fairly well written and easy to put together.
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by jsheerin View Post
    You could try an AC servo motor. Like this:
    Fanuc A06B 0163 B175 AC Servo Motor 1 8KW | eBay

The problem with Fanuc motors is they have a proprietary commutation method, there is a conversion board that is made by one poster here, I actually used one for a spindle, but changed the encoder that used a standard type of commutation.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Maglin View Post
    It's only 2500 rpm but puts out 5hp and will run on 220v single phase. If you only need 2.5 hp you can just run it 2:1 ratio and have a 5000rpm spindle that you can do ridgid tapping with as well as run a BT30 spindle with ATC.
    Horsepower is a function of torque and speed. With the 2:1 ratio, you will have half the torque at 5000 rpm that you have at 2500. However you will still have 5HP.

bob

Oh. Ill have to look into it deeper. I had it backwards in my head.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Jeremiah

Sorry to but in here but had a quick question for Maglin(I tryed to PM but your box is full feel free to PM back)

The motor you linked to in that thread was from the Alibaba. Did you actually purchase that exact motor from them on that alibaba site? If so what was the buying experience like? How was the quality and that $800 you said was that for the motor AND drive? shipping as well?

Thanks for your help I have always been skeptical of that site but thats a really good price

I bought that and more. Spent about $3k with MIGE. Was scary but everything works great and the build quality is good. I don't expect to have to open them up for at least 5 years and I'm thinking it will only be for a bearing change but well see.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by Fenza CNC View Post
    Hi.

I'm planning a fun project to finally get my first cnc mill. I've got the ideas for most things down but I'm still not sure about a good spindle motor. I'm finding researching this topic quite difficult because of conflicting information, so I'll ask on here :cheers:
    To a certain extent the right motor depends upon what you intend to do with it.
    I'd like my mill to have a similar performance to a Tormach PCNC 1100 because this is the mill that I want but can't afford. One of the areas that the Tormach is apparently lacking is in it's spindle power, John NYCCNC did a video to find it's limits and got 1.2 - 1.4hp so I think maybe 2hp would be better for me, for this I'll probably need a 2.5 hp motor to reach my 2hp cutting goals.
    If you are driving the motor via a VFD you will need a motor rated at more horse poser than you might first think. The goal being to have usable torque at lower RPMs. However to be usable over a wide range of speed and loads, with most drives you will likely have access to, you will need different ratios between the motor and spindle. This is assuming you are going with a low cost mill and drive system.
    This brings me to the question, what type of motor would be suitable for my needs?
    It depends upon your intentions. I'm not sure why you knock AC indication motors but they are a very reasonable low cost solution.
    I think most mills like the Tormach and some real machines use ordinary AC induction motors, but these are heavy, slow and I believe accel-decel slowly so probably not the preferred option.
    Really what are you trying to accomplish? AC induction motors are a good solution if they fit with in your expected usage. After all many mills ship with AC indication motors even these days.
    So what do you guys think would be best for me? Also would like it to be as cheap as possible, sub $1,000 for motor and controller for motor.

Cheers, Fenza
    Not enough information really.