586,108 active members*
2,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap ACME Lead Screws

This is just an FYI for the DIY'ers... (usual disclaimer that I am not associated with ENCO).

I was looking on ENCO last night and noticed that they had 1/2 10 RHS ACME screws for $6.99 for 6 foot lengths and $4.59 for 3 foot lengths. They also had cheap drill rod and UHMW and Acetyl for linear slides... I guess you can already figure out my plan.

Another item that I didn't need, but bought anyways was 1/2" parting bits for the lathe 1/2" x 1/16" was about $4.50 I think. That was almost 4 times cheaper than I just paid from McMaster Carr (chair) .

Just thought I would share the finds...

mjarus.

Quote Originally Posted by mjarus
    This is just an FYI for the DIY'ers... (usual disclaimer that I am not associated with ENCO).

I was looking on ENCO last night and noticed that they had 1/2 10 RHS ACME screws for $6.99 for 6 foot lengths and $4.59 for 3 foot lengths. They also had cheap drill rod and UHMW and Acetyl for linear slides... I guess you can already figure out my plan.

Another item that I didn't need, but bought anyways was 1/2" parting bits for the lathe 1/2" x 1/16" was about $4.50 I think. That was almost 4 times cheaper than I just paid from McMaster Carr (chair) .

mjarus.
    Yes that is where I got mine for my CNC Model 2006 in the forum, I run at 80-100 ipm with them. You can see in my assembly manual that I give the sources for the hardware.

Joe

any links?

Quote Originally Posted by tekno
    any links?
    this is the beginning of the thread and link is there for download links.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15139

Joe

Joe,

Never saw that thread as I am trying to do this "from scratch" so to speak... not copy any existing design in whole. I take some of the mechanical ideas from things I see, but I don't look at any other peoples drawings.

Let me say... your machine is darn impressive!!! I am building a smallish PCB router (12-18 inches on the x-y) and made from 6061 on a manual lathe and mill. If I get close to your level of success with it I will be a VERY happy camper.

I am using pen and paper as well as Blender for the design. I know Blender isn't normally used for this stuff... but hey, use whatcha got, right?!

Again... very nice work.

mjarus.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    this is the beginning of the thread and link is there for download links.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15139

Joe
    I was looking for the link to what Mjarus posted as I feel that its helpful.. I have read your posts - didnt notice itwas the same info

Quote Originally Posted by mjarus

mjarus.
    but was hoping that Mjarus would post the link

Tek

heres the link to the ACME rods @ Enco

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000000451

Sorry about that Tek, I misunderstood as well... (chair) .

Here is the link to the cut-off blades as well:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...LMPA&PMCTLG=01

And hardened drill rods (for rails?) and some cheap brass (no reason, just cheap).

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...LMPA&PMCTLG=01

Regards,

mjarus.

Thanks..

One of the bad things is I read a great tread like joes is he has good info on finding cheap stuff but it gets lost in the 400+ posts.

tek

I have bought ACME precision threaded rod from McMaster several times. I wonder if the ACME rod at Emco is precision threaded rod, and what the finish is. I have always bought the black oxide finished stuff and find it very very smooth. The precision threaded rod has a lead accuracy of .009" or better per foot (better, I hope).
    Has anyone compared the two side by side? How is the finish of the Enco stuff?
    Cheers,
    Colin

Also, that is not hardened shaft, that is oil and water hardening shaft, BIG difference.
    Colin

I’ve had the same concerns (observations) as YukonHo. Not sure what it means, but there does seem to be several types available. $6.99 does seem extremely cheap, there is probably some reason. Maybe you get what you pay for, but hey.

Here are 1/2x10 6 foot price comparisons (stainless not included).

ENCO $6.99
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=942694

MSC $27.76
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=7172456

McMaster
    Ungraded Grade 2 low-strength steel.Part Number: 98935A033 $11.04
    Grade B7 4140 Alloy Steel Part Number: 93410A120 $48.02
    Precision Acme C1018 Alloy Steel Black-Oxide Part Number: 98940A106 $46.24
    Precision Acme C1018 Alloy Steel Part Number: 99030A105 $53.26

Steve

I dunno, they have not arrived yet, but I will report about quality when they do. One thing about McMaster... they will rip you a new one on price! I live near a distro center from them and still do not buy from them (o.k. I did once ). Their 6061 is 2.5 times more expensive than the shop down the street and in one case that I know of 5x more expensive for the same thing! I never understood why people by "everyday" supplies from them. Unobtanium, maybe, but 6061?

Anyways, that rant was off subject I know, and ya'll may be right, but for $6.99 what the heck right? :cheers:

mjarus.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I was just checking the order status and rembered... they also have Acetel (Delrin) for $4.32 1" round/1 foot. Onlinemetals.com for comparison runs $10.43

But... I must take back what I said about McMaster Carr - they are only $4.13 a foot (if I read that right... still cannot believe it).

Anywho, that was a good price. I am not an Enco fanboy or anything, as a matter of fact this is my first order from them, but I was pleasantly surprised by their prices on some things.

mjarus.

I just got the screws in this afternoon. Finish on them looks fine, no burrs, dings, etc... very smooth. There is fome "flex" to them at 6 foot lenghts though, so maybe the others are more stiff? I mean they lay flat, but if you pick it up at one end they will bow slightly after about 4 feet. For me they should work just fine as the longest length I need is 2 feet.

In appearance they look just like the leadscrew on my lathe. It will be awhile for me to put them to use, but I will report back with results.

mjarus.