Login

Question What 5-Axis mill

Looking for A 5-Axis mill.
    And the contenders are:
    Hermle C400
    Doosan VC630-5ax
    DMG DMU 75 Monoblock
    Hedelius RS505

Any suggestion and things you say to look for?
    Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Looking for real high quality I would definitely go for the Hermle
    Doosan probably also OK relative to the smaller investment
    DMG you pay a lot just for a name
    Hedelius probably cheapest both price tag and contruction

Quote Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
    Looking for real high quality I would definitely go for the Hermle
    Doosan probably also OK relative to the smaller investment
    DMG you pay a lot just for a name
    Hedelius probably cheapest both price tag and contruction
    Yeah, Hermle as a manufacturer is probably the top brand, but looking for spindle spec's(Nm, kW), etc they are lower, for a higher price it doesn't seem the perfect choice.
    You would rate Hedelius lowest of all?
    DMU's used to be at the top, are the really that bad nowadays?

Depends what you need. 18k rpm and higher Hermle is a good choice. If 12k rpm with higher torque is prefered Doosan may be a better choice

I rate Hedelius lowest due to the welded construction filled with nothing. Know users in Sweden having problem with vibrations on larger models Hedelius because of this. Only plus as I see it is the low price and closeness to the manufacturer for you

I don´t say DMG is a bad machine, but I don´t think it´s as good as the price tag reflects

Is Heidenhain control a demand ?

FWIW- I just bought a Matsuura MX 520. It seems to be a lot of machine for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
    Depends what you need. 18k rpm and higher Hermle is a good choice. If 12k rpm with higher torque is prefered Doosan may be a better choice

I rate Hedelius lowest due to the welded construction filled with nothing. Know users in Sweden having problem with vibrations on larger models Hedelius because of this. Only plus as I see it is the low price and closeness to the manufacturer for you

I don´t say DMG is a bad machine, but I don´t think it´s as good as the price tag reflects

Is Heidenhain control a demand ?
    Thanks for the input!
    Didn't know of the hedelius issue! Good to know!

No not at all!
    All is programmed by CAM!
    So would just need a short block processing time, Which the Fanuc 31i 5 axis has, aswell as the Heidenhain 530.

Then I think you should take a closer look at Hurco model VTXU (only this model built as 5-axis from beginning, not the smaller VMXU models)

12,5 ton cast iron construction machine.12k rpm spindle with 237 Nm. Simultaneous 5-axis. And a very fast control for 3D-machining. Also no problem at all to use ISO programming with CAM-system (some people still think Hurco is only for conversational programming)

Did have a look at the Hurco!
    Only has a very high price for a machine with such a low accuracy in XYZ, the axis you will still use the most!

I believe Hurco not promising a high accuracy in the proposals partly has to do with being a US company (heavenly country for the lawyers). There may be harsh instructions from US never to promise anything in writing that you may be even close to get in trouble for later

However if longtime high accurary is a main concern I would definitely vote for Hermle. Or maybe Matsuura as suggested or Makino or Mori Seiki (not DMG) but they all are probably more expensive than Hermle

Hurco do promiss high accuracy on the 4th and 5th axis that is why it concerns me.
    With the new Mori Seiki it's hard to find which are from the collaboration and which are from Mori only. Here they are now also supplied by DMG.
    Makino and Matsuura didn't ask for a qoute, guessed it would be Mazak range. Too high what we use it for.

Hermle by far is the best choice. Very solid one piece casting for rigidity and vibration absorption. They have a very solid spindle design with safety crash prevention in the spindle so you only have to replace certain cheaper parts in event of a crash instead of a spindle which could cost as must as $30k. Crashes are more frequent on 5 axis usually due to a programming error.

All guideways are designed outside of machining area. Oversized gearing on rotary table tandem drives give it very right rigidity. Dmg only has one point of contact for rotary table I contact.

Hermle also has very reliable customer service and support. Good luck!

Russ

Thanks guys!
    Must say, Hedelius does have some big advantages to a hermle though. They have the formingstar, good for 3D finishing, and high speed roughing. They have torque motors in the 4th and 5th axis. Something that in a hermle would cost you 20k.
    We have seen the Hedelius, Doosan and Hermle in action now. Doosan seems quite rigid, but its insanely big. We do not have that much space available. Hedelius RS505 cut's with 50mm mill in steel, like it's only cutting air. So Nothing wrong with the rigidity there either.
    The Hermle is quite pricy and doesn't have that much on a Hedelius.

Hermle is def the most expensive of the choice. But in the long run it is the more overbuilt machine. (Just look at the casting). I still feel in the long run even though it might cost a little more that it would last longer.

Also how is their service? I know hermle's is very good here in the US. Very important at the end of the day

Russ