586,100 active members*
2,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Interact with Heidehain 2500 Control

I have an Interact 1 MKII with the Heidenhain 2500 control and KTK spindle drive. Periodically and more lately I have been getting spindle faults. It seems to repair itself if I turn it off and walk away. There are many posts about the KTK drive and the MT1-1 board problems. How do you tell which one could be causing the fault? I have seen posts on sending the board out for rebuild and also swapping out the drive and swapping out the motor and drive. I have a little experience on the electrical side. This machine could be the most unused Interact on the planet as it had set in the back of a school for years and now sees only periodic use. I would like to keep it running.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Is the fault you are getting a " Spindle drive fault " ? Are you running the machine on a phase converter ? If so you may need a Bucknboost transformer.

Yes, that is the message. I am running on a 20 horsepower rotary phase converter. I have added some run capacitors when I put it in and at my old age I don't remember where that idea came from. What voltages should I be looking for?

You will have to use a volt meter and measure the 3 legs then call ....I think i used American rotary ( google them ) and tell them the voltage you found.... They will help you get the correct buck boost transformer... Good Luck.

I had the same problem with one of my machines and this fixed it.

I'll try it and post what I find. Thanks for the help.

You may also have some luck disconnecting a capacitor or 2 and see if your voltage gets better. If it was working before you added them you may have some luck. I had an old rotary phase converter i had to do that to and it worked. Now i have newer phase converters.

I know it has been awhile. I have been nursing this thing to get some work done. My voltages run 233, 244,244. To ground: 120, 208,120 Hi-leg Delta. I suspect the old KTK drive, as I have the pushed the reset on it and the LED's switch and it run for a bit. How difficult is it to swap that out for something a little more modern?

Did you try the buck n boost transformer ?

Do you think those voltages are far enough off to cause a problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1st i would make sure the " wild " leg is not going to the controller and if not then the buck boost may solve your problem.

I have to go back to the beginning on my install several years ago. I could not run. I have a phase converter panel built by Des-co, who is now out of business I think. They had me wire in some run capacitors and it worked. I had bought 4 at the time and ended up with 2. I think for some reason the voltage has dropped and I would like to add all the capacitors back in but I do not have a diagram for wiring them. If I remember correctly they raised the voltage. Does anyone have a diagram for wiring in run capacitors?

I have the wild leg correct. I have run for several years without a problem. I agree that the low voltage is the place to start. I have capacitors on there now, but at some point reduced them, I would like to get them all back in again, but have lost the wiring diagram. I also have a pair of 120/240 x 16x32 transformers that I used to buck voltage for a 200v EDM machine years ago, but I would not have a clue in how to wire them.

Check the brush length on the spindle motor.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The brush length is about 1 3/8.
    I started up today and manually ran the spindle up to 3500 rpm. I ran a short program with no tool and it was OK. I ran the program in the cut, 5/16 end mill, 3/16 deep in aluminum at 2500 rpm. About an inch into the cut the spindle slowed down slowly, I hit feed hold and it showed spindle fault. The LED was out on the MTI-1 board. I hit the end button and/or the CE button, got rid of the fault message but could not restart the spindle. The MTI-1 board LED came back on. It would only restart after pushing the reset on the KTK drive.
    Is that telling us the drive needs attention?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk