586,108 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 9 56789
    Mike, amazing progress!
    Let me know how the collet closer rebuild goes. I have an older style vari-grip that is leaking air also. The rotary union on mine does not have seals. There are o-rings in the air cylinder but not in the union. The union has a bronze bushing. In my case a worn bronze bushing. Air will leak between the in and out port before it makes it to the cylinder.
    I'm hoping to repair mine. Let me know what you find in yours!

Hey OT heres some pics. The one thats taken apart is off the newer model and the black one I have yet to take apart. the best way to take it apart is leave it on the machine and put in the spindle lock, and take off the back nut. Its VERY hard to try and take it off without it being in the spindle. I put these back in just momentarily to take the back nuts off.

Is the bushing in the pic the one you are mentioning?

Thanks for the post!

Hi, nice update, I like when I am machining not to bend to much , so better larger stand then shorter. Usually machinist make wooden standing area so they do not get cold feet. I thought that you kept original enclosure from machine, where will your coolant liquid drop?

Hey Mike you can make this protection for you lathes (for bed ways), it is easy, I made it for my milling machine.
    iXen-CNC

I saw couple of videos where guy use oil for lubrication while he turns part, it was strange for me at first that your machine does not have gap where chips and coolant liquid can fall down, anyway I think way cover from link would be cool on your machine.

Thanks Marco, I have seen this before, I think it would be great for the lathes.

P.S. I already toasted one of the vfds ;(. I don't know why but when I looked inside there were a few spots that were not soldered compared to the other one. So I contacted the manufacturer. Hopefully I can get a replacement.

Mike,

I'm not seeing the pic. I assume the bushing would be inside the part you took off...

Sorry about that, here are some pics

So here I am taking apart the collet closer. Make sure its bolted on the spindle and the spindle lock is engaged to take the back nut off.

Apply air to one of the inlet ports to seperate the halves.

check out a small video of my explaining it. .

Hey OT, which fitting do you mean, can u see them in my pics?

MVI 0320 - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0313.jpg  

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and video.
    The part that leaks air is the bronze bushing between the bearings on the rotary union. That's the part you show on the last picture on lower left corner. The "silver" one seems to be the same I have. The other one you show (black one) looks different. How does the black one function? Does it contain seals or the same bushing arrangement as mine?
    I assume changing o-rings in the air cylinder will do little if the bronze bushing is worn.
    I got as far as taking the bearings out to inspect the bronze part. Mine is a lose fit to the draw tube which is ng.

Are u in the us? Ill email my # call me ill explain it to ya.

Yes, I'm in the us. PM me your number and let me know when it's best to talk. Thanks.

Hey OT i tried to PM you, it says your mailbox is full and cant accept more PM's

Hey guys, heres a small update

I polished up and rebuilt the collet closers, awaiting to put the seals in from mcmaster-carr.

Also heres a pic of the frozen grass in florida!

MVI 0324 - YouTube

Bling!

Cleared my inbox. Sorry.

Pics

Latest video, sorry it cut off at the end, but the next videos (I will upload them tomorrow), will have all the rest. I think I have like 3 more hours of video time to upload!

Update:

I used my plasma cutter from harbor freight to cut the plates out. The kinda came out ok, I will see how it looks when painted. I most likely will need to recut them.

So I am thinking about starting a CNC machining business, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

MVI 0343 - YouTube

Hi mike, nice build, lots of work going into these 2 machines, cant wait to see the finished project. Anyway I was wondering if you could help me out. I am retrofitting an older chnc to new 1kw ac servos and I need to upgrade the pulley systems since the old belts and pulleys are only about 1/2 inch wide. I think the newer machines used 1in wide belts. Can you count the teeth on your machines x and y drive pulleys for me? I am trying to figure out if pulleys from a newer machine would give me the correct gear ratio with my new motors.

thanks alot.

Sure, one sec.

My pulleys are HTD 5mm pitch. 1 inch wide belts

The pulley on the motor is 22 teeth
    The pulley on the ballscrew is 60 teeth, heres a pic.

What control do you have on it?

Hope this helps!

Thanks Mike that is exactly what I need, I appreciate it. Now I just need to find some one parting out a Chnc so I can get a set. I suppose I could just order from Hardinge. You don't happen to know the hardinge part number do you? As for my control I am building a custom setup running Linux. Here is a rending of what it should look like when I get done.

Nice buddy! I think ill make that also

I just ordered my 32 tooth motor drive pulley from BBman 32-5M25-6FS6 - Steel Timing Belt Pulley | B&B Manufacturing they are like 35$ each!

My shaft is 0.5" on my motor. I will just have to drill and tap for 2 set screws.

Page 7 of 9 56789