586,115 active members*
3,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Problem Selecting Tool when Tapping in BobCAD-CAM

Question Problem Selecting Tool when Tapping in BobCAD-CAM

I'm having some trouble getting BobCAD to do tapping operations. I hope someone could help point me in the right direction.

I am able to select geometry, set all the options, create tool paths, except it wont let me choose the tool. I already have my tool saved in the library. In this case I want to make 3 holes and tap them with a 3/8-24 point tap that has .25" ineffective length, 1" flute length, and 1.90" total length.

The problem is, BobCAD defaults to a crazy tap and won't let me change it. It wants to use a 3/8-24 Spiral Tap with a 4" ineffective length, 1" flute length, and 5" total length. When I click on manual, the only option that it lets me change is the tool number. All other options remain grayed out.

I'm really not sure how to get this seemingly simple operation to work. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Quote Originally Posted by superart1 View Post
    I'm having some trouble getting BobCAD to do tapping operations. I hope someone could help point me in the right direction.

I am able to select geometry, set all the options, create tool paths, except it wont let me choose the tool. I already have my tool saved in the library. In this case I want to make 3 holes and tap them with a 3/8-24 point tap that has .25" ineffective length, 1" flute length, and 1.90" total length.

The problem is, BobCAD defaults to a crazy tap and won't let me change it. It wants to use a 3/8-24 Spiral Tap with a 4" ineffective length, 1" flute length, and 5" total length. When I click on manual, the only option that it lets me change is the tool number. All other options remain grayed out.

I'm really not sure how to get this seemingly simple operation to work. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.
    Which version of BobCAD ? ? ?
    From what you say it sounds like you have V23 as V24, V25 and V26 don`t have the "Manual" button at the Tool Dialog screen.

Everything below refers to V23 only

If you have correctly created/modified under "Milling Tools > Tools" and selected your Tap correctly then the Tool dialog will be automatically populated with the correct tap, see the images below for a little guidance

Attachment 208300

Shows where you should select your tap

Attachment 208302

Shows how your Tool dialog will look when tool is selected correctly

Hope that helps

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: