586,068 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gibbs cam swiss programming

I would like to know if anyone has used or is currently using Gibbs to program a swiss lathe (we have two Citizens) and your opinion? I heard they are really poor, but they recently did a major overhaul on their swiss package and now are comparible to most others. I know Partmaker is still the best but we already have Gibbs and I've been hand writing programs for 9yrs so I'd be happy to have something to help speed up the complex stuff.

All I can say is that they all have great graphics but the real proof is the post and not the demo post the spin doctors (salesmen) show you.
    You need to check a real one and compare in great detail against a program that you make currently by other methods.
    You do not want to get caught up in trying to develop a post wasting time and money.
    You will find that Partmaker will have the largest and most accurate posts to suit machine in the swiss range than any other Cam software company.
    No company will have a perfect post but you need to find the one that will be minimal amount of development.
    You have to also watch is that some machine company use optimizing features on there machines that make the machine more efficient and they require the program to be written by a certain pattern and rules to work.

Best Regards
    Dookie

Citizen UK have there own software for general programming called CNC Wizard. I use this myself its ok for most stuff.

Citizen Machinery UK - Sliding Head Lathes, Fixed Head Turning Centres, Citizen Lathes, Miyano Lathes, Autoloaded Lathes

Hope this helps. :-)

What type of things are trying to get away programming by hand.

We are a job shop that specializes in micro-holes. So I don't have a particular job or type of part that I'm trying to avoid long hand programming. Just thinking of the past jobs that have a bunch of "C"axis and ? axis contouring or angled drilling. Things that take a lot of program lines and a lot of calculations (and time to write), just trying to get the job running quicker.

I use Esprit for Swiss. I programmed the L20, L32, M16 & M32 with no problems or hand editing. The company hired a guy to program the machines when they were installed but he used so many shortcuts that knowone knew how to update the programs for revision changes or tooling updates. I re-programmed them with Esprit and now it's very simple to make changes and see whats going on in simulation.

Partmaker is definitely the way to go. I have been using it for over 15 years on Tsugami's, Citizens, Stars and Lathes. They have great and timely support.
    Gibbs better suited for milling. Our programmers for milling have been using Gibbs for 15-20 years.

swissdodger, did your shop ever try to use Gibbs to program the swiss machines? What is your favorite brand swiss machine and why?