586,441 active members*
5,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > DNC Problems and Solutions > Computer with Serial Port & XP for Rs-232 to Mazak M-32 control

Computer with Serial Port & XP for Rs-232 to Mazak M-32 control

Does anyone know where i can find a a computer with serial port and XP, Our laptop we use to send/receive programs from our Mazak M-32 machines just went out. We use Griffo Brothers and MazakCAM with RS-232 for CMT and Tape mode.

Or, can a Parallel port computer take an adapter to serial and work the same way?

Parallel Port Computer
    CNC4PC

I've heard that USB to serial port converters don't work to well for M-32 controllers.

Plenty of DELL and IBM laptops on ebay.
    If you try a USB convertor, use a 3 wire cable and jumper out 4-5 & 6-8-20 on the 25pin end.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I just setup a windows 8 computer using an Iogear USB to db9 cable. Had to build a custom db9 to db25 to put the wires in the correct order as I couldn't find a pre made cable to match what I needed. It works fine now. I started with a different USB cable that worked intermittently then quit altogether.

We use USB -> Serial on all of our Serial I/O machines including a Mazak M-32 control, they all work great. Don't buy cheap cables.
    CNC Specialty Store, Machine parts Supply

We have also used: Converter-Pro Part: ANU232STD
    USB to RS232 Adapter – Many Different Models from U. S. Converters

Jon is right! Don't buy cheap USB to serial adapters because you will find they work intermittently and a complete waste of time. Find one that has been tested and works with CNC machines of various CNC controls and protocols.

The RS232 cable to link these adapters are typically DB9 to DB25 (CNC side) and should really use hardware handshake vs software (3 wires). For more help, check out our website or give me a call.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Quote Originally Posted by gm3211 View Post
    Jon is right! Don't buy cheap USB to serial adapters because you will find they work intermittently and a complete waste of time. Find one that has been tested and works with CNC machines of various CNC controls and protocols.

The RS232 cable to link these adapters are typically DB9 to DB25 (CNC side) and should really use hardware handshake vs software (3 wires). For more help, check out our website or give me a call.
    Thanks greg, I saw one of your post in another thread like this and called last week, I believe i talked to Amy if my memory recalls correctly. We ordered this,

USB to Serial Connect | Shop Floor AutomationsShop Floor Automations

It should be in today and I'll be testing it with Griffo brothers and MazaCAM on Windows 7.