586,306 active members*
3,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 10 78910

Re: Jason's 5x5 Router Build

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get the Bosch router repaired and keep it to do the manual parts of such jobs.

Jason

Tried Gerry's suggestions and ran a new 1/4" bit @ 1/4" depth in dry PT pine and it ran without that high pitch squeal during the cut.

Thanks Gerry.

Something for the kids.

I saw this caddy online and decided to make two for the little ones. I make lots of things for other people but I never made anything
    like this for my kids.

Took me a lot longer than I thought it would. Next time I will use a poplar type wood as plywood & PT pine needed sanding and paint
    and it still was not to my liking. Plus I do not want to paint as its a pain waiting for it to dry.

In the end although not perfect, It came out pretty good.
    I will fill it with pretty pencils, crayons, paint and markers tomorrow and they will be in heaven.

Just my luck there was an odd colour as the last one in stock. Lets hope both of them do not want the orange one.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1324.jpg   DSCN1325.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    Just my luck there was an odd colour as the last one in stock. Lets hope both of them do not want the orange one.

Jason
    Well if they are anything like my kids the orange one will become the prize possession, causing a never ending battle, lol

Nice work though.

Russell.

Thanks Russell.

It appears all is peaceful as I have heard no fights for the orange bin. I guess I stuffed with so many things they did not notice.

Lots of stuff, but I forgot the pretty pencils.

Jason, nice job on all your projects. Routers are extremely noisy and can cause hearing damage even with protective head gear they are extremely noisy. You might want to consider you home made machine with a 3KW or 4KW Chinese spindle with the associated VFD. I ran routers for years and they just can not handle extended periods, most hand routers are designed for short jobs. The bearings tend to wear out running at higher RPM. The noise level reduction of using a Water Cooled spindle is just amazing. You can stand there and talk to someone while it is running most of the time depending on what you are cutting. Your new machine will require true three phase power or a high quality rotary phase converter for a 12HP spindle. That spindle in your new machine is a very nice spindle and you will be shocked once you get that running how powerful that spindle is and how easy it will cut the material you have been cutting. Best of luck and keep up the good work.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    I ran routers for years and they just can not handle extended periods,
    I disagree. I've done runs of 16 hours or more, but my regular production is 8 to 10 hours per day, six days per week. I change the bearings about every three months. I'm using a Bosch 1617 EVS and SuperPid.

Compare that to 10 years on a spindle running 15k RPM with no bearing changes. I have that same router which is a nice router, but now compare the noise levels, try one you will never go back!

Russ

I just switched to a 2.2KW Spindle. SO MUCH quieter!!

And alot more power.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Compare that to 10 years on a spindle running 15k RPM with no bearing changes. I have that same router which is a nice router, but now compare the noise levels, try one you will never go back!

Russ
    I agree with that. I just disagreed with your original statement, I didn't say they were better than spindles.

A 14 foot sign installed with the help of fellow cnczoners Tajord and Flakey.

3/4" sign foam covered with contact paper to mask and letters pocketed with a 1/4" upspiral bit.

Letters painted with rattle can hunter green. I had only 1 can a a bit to finish the letters so I painted the letter pockets with light coat of rattle can black (same fast drying brand)

and then finished with the hunter green. This black coat darkens up those areas that the spray does not get into easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1330.jpg   DSCN1331.jpg  

Finished product came out pretty good Jason

Thanks to you and Flakey.

Yes guys Centre is spelt correctly.

Have not posted in a while some pics of recent work.

The dragon fly cutout had to be done in 3 pieces.

All work done in V-Carve Pro as usual.

Jason

The dragon fly was done for zone member Tajord as his big machine is not finished yet.

Pic of the dragonfly mounted. before finishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragonfly Mounted.jpg  

I was pocket cutting yesterday and the machine was stuttering in the curves.

My CV distance setting was 180 for a long time. The CV feedrate is not active but it is set to +1.0. I also use millimeters as my units.

They were some settings that Ger51 gave a me a while back but I cannot find them.

Will experiment and see what happens.

I have always set my VCarve output to gcode mm. lets see what happens when I try gcode arcs in mm. All CV settings off.

Problem solved

I export my VCarve Pro gcode as gcode mm. It seems this gcode will represent arcs as a series of tiny straight lines which is fine under normal cutting situations.

When I increased the feet rate through the override section of the mach 3 home screen during the cut, the machine started to shake.

If I set the speed in the gcode to the increased speed and run from the start the file runs fine.

If we ouput gcode arcs and speed it up during the cut it will run smoothly.

The strange thing is I have overridden the cut speed before and never had this problem. Its all a bit odd.

Constant velocity was on

Lesson learned.

Page 9 of 10 78910