Well, I've moved shop and now gotten my 1993 Haas VF-0 put back together and powered up.
Problems, though; on auto power up, the Z axis goes up to machine zero, then alarms out '163 - Z axis over current or drive fault'.
Z axis does move smoothly through its range down to the work table when I'm manually moving it under 'jog w/o home', but alarms out when it's about 2 1/2" from the position tab meeting the limit switch.
Diagnostics does show the Z axis limit switch going '0' to '1' when depressed, but the tab never gets far enough up to it.
My counterbalance weight isn't binding on anything.
I checked as well as I could see with a flashlight to ensure nothing was causing binding as the Z approached the top.
A side note, I did have to manually turn the leadscrew to get the Z axis as far down as it would move, as transporting the machine required it be about 4" shorter to pass under some low ceilings. Could this have caused the machine to be out of sync with its Z position?
I can't seem to logically find why the Z axis stops short.
Anybody have experience with this, or at least a fair guess as to where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance
-Ken