586,103 active members*
3,334 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Can someone help me pick CAD software?

Can someone help me pick CAD software?

First off I have never really used CAD software. So I don't really know the strengths/weaknesses of various programs out there. I downloaded DraftSight and played around with it for a while but could not figure out how to determine the scale or size of object, or put a grid on. Now someone can probably answer that, but here's the thing, I really don't want to be dealing with unsupported software that's free where I don't have a manual or any way to help learn it. Because a few days from now I'll have another question. I also don't want to spend too much time learning software that's not designed for what I'm trying to do.

So, I'm hoping someone can give me a few ideas?

I need something for 2D, for a plasma cutter.
    I'd like to be able to import JPEG, and PDF, and export DXF (this seems to be the most challenging part so I may have to get this separate).
    I'd like something that has a manual or guide.
    Hopefully something popular so if I run into problems I can get help from other users.

Without even trying it I'm considering CorelDraw but I hear it's more of an art program.... so what about CorelCAD?
    I will try SolidWorks.

Obviously free is better but I know generally you get what you pay for. But it sounds like some of these companies put out the 2D version for free hoping you buy the 3D, which I'll never use.

No point in trying solidworks for 2d , besides draftsight is made by the same company
    if you only need 2d , then your best bet is most likely the free software's . There are many available and they function just as well as any paid software .
    Progcad smart is a great software , doublecad is another , and draftsight .
    If your needing to transform jpeg to vector then your going to be looking at a bit more of a learning curve , but it's not difficult once you get the hang of it . Inkscape is one of the best for doing image files to vector which can be saved as dxf . Dig thru the forum , you should find enough info for using inkscape .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Solidworks won't do what you're after anyways. Are you really just after generating G-code in the end? If so, you can import PDF and JPEG (along with all other sorts of images) to VCarve Pro and change them to line drawings for toolpath generation right in one program. VCarve also provides some basic drawing tools for cleaning everything up. If I understand correctly, it also provides support for plasma specific toolpaths (even though it seems like a wood working program). It's not a difficult program to learn and I suspect there is a great deal of tutorial information on it. It's easy enough to use that I've never had to look. At any rate, you'd be able to go from drawing to machine inside one program if the plasma support is good enough for you.

There's no software out there that can convert a jpg to a quality .dxf file for cutting without some manual editing.Same with most .pdf's unless they were cad files to start with. My preference would be to load the image in to a CAD program and manually trace it. Once you learn the CAD program, this is not a difficult task, and gives far superior results.
    As mentioned, V-Carve Pro is the most user friendly option for doing this, but it's not cheap.
    I'd probably recommend a combination of Draftsight and Inkscape (both free). You probably won't find a better 2D CAD program than Draftsight,m and Inkscape can do just about everything that Corel Draw can. Both can export files into your CAM program.
    SheetCam is a very popular CAM program for plasma users.

Fwiw, software manuals disappeared about 10 years ago.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No, I just need the DXF file. I'll have something else to convert to G-Code and doing toolpaths. So this confirms then, there's not really a program out there that does what I'd like (take JPEGS and PDFS and just easily save them as DXF). I don't mind tracing if that's easier anyways.

V-Carve Pro is within my budget... it's $600. I'm going to try Inkscape and V-Carve Pro trial.

Edit: I just tried the trial version of V-Carve Pro and have already created two designs and tried the bitmap import... didn't even need to read any instructions, and everything was simple to use. I'll try a few more recommended here but I'm betting I buy V-Carve Pro real soon here.

You will like Vcarve Pro. Plus if you get a wild hair maybe throw a router and a base on the plasma machine and try cutting wood.

Mike