586,103 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Switching Power Supply

Item number: 7613582424

They have these on E-Bay for $35.00, will these run (3) 2.8 Amp steppers?

No. There are 2 problems with those supplys. A switching supply is generally designed for a constant non-inductive load, and the pulsed inductive loading of the stepper can cause problems. With a switching supply, you may need to add large capacitors to prevent voltage from being pumped back into the supply from the motor. A linear supply is better for steppers.

However, the main problem is that these supplies are only 12 volts. This is way too low to get any reasonable speed from your motors. You want a supply at least 24 volts. Generally, the voltage should be 10 to 20 times the rated voltage of your motors with higher voltages better, as long as it does not excede the voltage rating of your drives. A lot depends on the drives you are using. With a chopper drive, you would need about 8 or 9 amps.

Some of the guys in the zone have linked up two or three PC power supplies in order to get ~22volts or 33.6volts depending on if you link up 2 or 3. Get a ps that has at least 12amps rated on the 12v line (yellow wire).

Joe2000che used 3 computer power supplies hooked up to get 33.6volts with 100oz/inch motors and no problems.

Check out this link:
    http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...s&disp=52&pg=1

Jason

Parallel

That is good information. I have (2) 24 Volt ~ 6 Amp Switching supplies, and was wondering if I could hook them together and get 12 Amps.

I have been running one of them ( 6 Amp ~ 24 Volts) to power (3) 2.8 Amp steppers. I am useing the Xylotex driver board tuned down to 2.5 Amps. The steppers are rated @ 276 Oz. In. @ 2.8 amps. At this reduced Amps I have roughly measured about 225 Oz. In. If I have 12 Amps available I will have to get some stronger driver boards.

I have been use the single Switching power supply for the past year and have not noticed any problems with the Xylotex and the 276 Oz In steppers.

I receintly purchased (2) 425 Oz In "supper steppers" off E-Bay, which are rated at 2.8 Amps. I am going to try them at 2.5 Amps, and hopeing to get 350 Oz. In., which is a major improvement over the 225 that I presently have.

Will let you know how things work out.