586,096 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question help me select an Oscilloscope

Dear friends,
    i have made 2 cnc routers in past for my self and i have recently purchased a SX3 mill from china. and i have also made a few stepper drivers by my self.

so, now i want to buy an Oscilloscope, but i dont know which one to select bcoz i am a newbie for Oscillo. and also i am confused between the oscilloscope and the function (logic) generator. i am planning to make a stepper driver and controller in future, so i was thinking that i can use the function generator to test the stepper driver and plus the function generator can be used to test (run) any other things too like Brushless motor driver etc etc.

so is there any oscilloscope available with function generator?
    and which oscilloscope is good for a DIY ?
    my budget is about 300$.

so friend, if anyone of u uses a oscillo then please give me a few suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by sizala View Post
    Dear friends,
    i have made 2 cnc routers in past for my self and i have recently purchased a SX3 mill from china. and i have also made a few stepper drivers by my self.

so, now i want to buy an Oscilloscope, but i dont know which one to select bcoz i am a newbie for Oscillo. and also i am confused between the oscilloscope and the function (logic) generator. i am planning to make a stepper driver and controller in future, so i was thinking that i can use the function generator to test the stepper driver and plus the function generator can be used to test (run) any other things too like Brushless motor driver etc etc.

so is there any oscilloscope available with function generator?
    and which oscilloscope is good for a DIY ?
    my budget is about 300$.

so friend, if anyone of u uses a oscillo then please give me a few suggestions.
    i would say get the cheapest used digital storage scope that you can find..im not sure how much a TDS 200 might run these days..might be just a little bit above your budget. but it will do wonders for you, and help you learn alot faster by letting you easily capture, measure, and compare waveforms from just about anything.

dont waste your time with old analog scopes. they are fun and can be useful (and cheap), but they are nowhere near as easy to use or as powerful and handy as digital storage scopes.

dont buy the USB "scopes" unless you are very sure they will do what you want. even the nice ones have crappy software and are in general a pain to use and very limited specification wise. most of the very cheap ones are audio frequency anyway, next to useless.

now a function generator on the other hand..im not sure whats out there as far as used and useful. ive been able to get away with ancient, rickety, analog function generators and they have served me well in a pinch..but i dont use them much. if im trying to control a circuit its usually something I plan on controlling with a microcontroller, so I just get that up and running and have it generate the waveforms

Dear acannell,
    thankx for your kind and so fast response.
    ok i got your point about the function generator.
    and i have found a few links on Oscilloscope ... here they are.

Update ATTEN ADS1102CAL 100MHz Digital Oscilloscope 7" LCD 1g SA S | eBay
    New Siglent 100MHz SDS1102DL Digital Storage Oscilloscope 2 Channels 1 Ext 7" | eBay

SDS5032E

i liked the owon model. but its only 30Mhz. so will it be any good for me to use?.. bcoz in a cnc drive the signal from a controller goes about "2080000" puls a min.to the stepper or servo drive ( if its working by Setp/Dir mode). so will i be able to see those kind of speedy movments (on offs)?

Quote Originally Posted by sizala View Post
    Dear acannell,
    thankx for your kind and so fast response.
    ok i got your point about the function generator.
    and i have found a few links on Oscilloscope ... here they are.

Update ATTEN ADS1102CAL 100MHz Digital Oscilloscope 7" LCD 1g SA S | eBay
    New Siglent 100MHz SDS1102DL Digital Storage Oscilloscope 2 Channels 1 Ext 7" | eBay

SDS5032E

i liked the owon model. but its only 30Mhz. so will it be any good for me to use?.. bcoz in a cnc drive the signal from a controller goes about "2080000" puls a min.to the stepper or servo drive ( if its working by Setp/Dir mode). so will i be able to see those kind of speedy movments (on offs)?
    30 mhz is fine, you wont need anything faster than that for stepper motors.

those scopes are amazingly cheap. but i have a feeling they are chinese attempts at tektronix scopes, so who knows whats lurking. i wouldnt buy one without reading some good reviews about it. but it seems okay on paper.

wow... i just found that the tektronix has a branch in india too. ... lets see what it cost..

nop.. the tektronix cost starts from 570$ in india. its way out of my reach.

Hey Acannell,
    i have found an Oscillo which in my reach. so please see the link and tell me that is it worth the money or not
    Product Detail