586,119 active members*
3,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis Leadscrew play

When we got this used machine. It has almost 1/4 of play in the spindle between the Y and Z axis. Well after taking it apart i noticed the rails where loss. And i also noticed it needed new rails. So i bought them. Replaced them. i also noticed the Z axis leadscrew was locked up. So i took it all apart and replaced the bearings in it. Well i put it all together today. Its running great. All the slip in the Z and Y axis are gone. But some reason there is still about .01" play in the leadscrew. I think i got the problem found. The leadscrew is mounted with a single 10mmX26mm bearings at the bottom. Just a standerd bearing. The top has 2 10mmX26mm bearings at the top. And the leadscrew has a nut at the top. So its bolted to the top 2 bearings.

So here is the problem. the top two bearings are just standerd bearings. Which are not made for side force. Hence where the place is coming from. So here is what i ask you guys. Is there a better type of bearings i can get that is more for side force?

Now i need to be able to mount this bearings in the same housing these are in. So they gotta be 10mmX26mm. The 2 bearings i have now are .626 put together i believe. So its gotta be close to that debth.

Thanks Eric,

Well...I suspect that the problem is really between the leadscrew and the nut on the leadscrew.....is this ACME or Ballscrew??

im not sure. it dont look like either. its not a ballscrew or a acme screw. it looks more like a standerd thread. but it looks more smooth than thread. im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Smackre
    im not sure. it dont look like either. its not a ballscrew or a acme screw. it looks more like a standerd thread. but it looks more smooth than thread. im not sure.
    Can you send a picture of the screw?

Is the play coming from the bearings or lead screw?

i can see the leadscrew moving up and down. so its not in the leadscrew. its either the bearings or the nut aint down tight on the bearings. and im 99% posative its not the nut. i took the leadscrew out and the nut was tight on the bearings.

Well then in that case.....it's a problem with the lack of pre-loading of the bearings....

Ok anyone know where i can get 10mm I.D. X 26mm O.D. X 16mm Double Row angular contract bearings. Or two 8mm single contact angular contact bearings?

hello Eric
    which controlse u r using? if u hv play in z axis ball screw or not
    u can compensate

Ravin.

hello eric i am online so u can discuess with me now in the chat room