586,362 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digitizing software?

Is there software available that will take input from two rotary encoders (X Y) and put point on the screen were ever you push a button to put a point. And output a DXF file?

Basicaly do what this thing does:
    http://www.outlinetechnologies.com/index.html

Thanks
    Dennis

Smile Digitizing with output to file

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC
    Is there software available that will take input from two rotary encoders (X Y) and put point on the screen were ever you push a button to put a point. And output a DXF file?

Basicaly do what this thing does:
    http://www.outlinetechnologies.com/index.html

Thanks
    Dennis: Check out if your CNC machine's controller supports G31. You're in luck if it does, cuz you simply command a move to the X,Y location and when you call G31... your controller will output the X,Y and the probe-sensed Z-coords. So your X,Y grid of commands will be turned into a "point cloud"
    Regards,
    Terrence

I've also been looking for a similar software.I tryed MACH1 but it wouldnt give me a DRO! so G31 wouldnt work in that app! I'm trying to digitize 2D model plans.Would like to CNC most parts and save my fingers in the prosess!

Dam scalpl's

Mach1 does not support, but both 2 and 3 does. Download them and give them a try.

Mike

ps I have digitized parts with both versions
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Lightbulb digitizing software

Thank's Mike will give it a go,couldn't wrap my head around them I gess I'll have to now,I've got Master5 + MACH1 prity much mastered,just haven't hade the time to get to know M2+3.

thank's again

Kevin

If you can get the plan scanned, some software will allow you to import a .jpg or .bmp file and output a cutting file for the router.

Or, import the scanned image into a cad program and setup layers, then trace the shapes using the spline command. Save as a .dxf and import into your control software, etc..

OR.... Once scanned, use a conversion program like WinTopo to convert to a dxf then etc,etc...

I believe some control softwares will also import an hpgl format (some graphics programs will allow you to export/save the file in hpgl) which turns the router into a strange looking plotter and cuts the parts.

Myself, I scan, import into Turbocad, trace, save as Dxf, import into KCam, cut parts.

It's actually easier than it sounds.

If you have an older version of AutoCad, (V13 or earlier) there is an option for calibrating a digitizing tablet, which was nothing more than a fancy mouse on a hard table, similar to the Quick Track system. You could always try putting a set of cross hairs on a standard mouse and using a large work surface, run the calibration cycle.

HTH
    Iain
    When all else fails, it's time to think outside the box!

Quote Originally Posted by funflyri View Post
    Thank's Mike will give it a go,couldn't wrap my head around them I gess I'll have to now,I've got Master5 + MACH1 prity much mastered,just haven't hade the time to get to know M2+3.

thank's again

Kevin
    Kevin remember if you paid for Mach1, V3 is still a free upgrade. Don't even stop at V2 because so much has changed between 2 and 3.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.