586,075 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ATC software issue

Hi Everyone,
    I recently received a PCNC770 with power drawbar and ATC. I believe that I have everything assembled and aligned correctly. I was able to cut a few parts manually changing the tool. I was also able to successfully load and fetch tools from the tray. I am using the Tormach controller with the MachOS software installed by Tormach.

However, this evening, when I set up to run a part with full fledged ATC control, I kept getting error message boxes upon tool change that say something to the effect: “Spindle is in manual mode, please switch to auto mode and press okay.” However, the spindle is not in manual mode when this comes up (and in fact has not been switched to manual model in at least one week!). After the first such error, I am also unable to load or fetch tools without getting it again. If I turn off the mill and restart Mach, it is okay for the initial tool loading at the start of my program (and I can fetch/load tools). But when the I get to the first change the message pops up again. If I click cancel, it states ATC-M6 was not completed and the program aborts.

I tried flicking the spindle switch to manual and back to auto, no effect. I still get the same behavior.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions would be appreciated. These things always seem to happen on a Friday night, and Tormach are not around until Monday.

Thanks!
    Scott

Update. I was wrong about the ATC being the cause. It seems to be the power draw bar control.

When I start up, everything works fine. I can bring the draw bar up and down on command. I can start the spindle manually, turn it back to auto, and everything still work correctly. However, when I start the spindle through Mach (via F5 or the onscreen button on Mach itself), then turn it off, the powerdraw bar will not actuate, and I get the message mentioned above. If I turn off the machine (but leave mach running) and then turn on the machine, things work again until I start the spindle through Mach. Argh.

Check your wiring between the ATC/PB and the VFD. I have an 1100 but I think it is on page 12 of your manual.

nitewatchman

Thanks! I actually did that just before reading your post and found that my red wire was one spot left of where it should be. My bad. Everything is working well now.

Scott

Outstanding!!

same but different

I have a series 3 pcnc 1100 with atc. bought new last month. I have the same error as Spletcher had. I thought great, some body found the answer to this error. I checked and triple checked the wiring connections on the drawbar and atc control boxes, then checked inside the control cabinet, everything seems to be as in the factory manuals. The error message seems to say that the spindle is running under the manual switch, which it it not. Could the vfd be bad, as soon as the vfd fires up, the spindle will not work under mach control.checked all the fuses also.I don't know where to go here to check voltages on components.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Contact Tormach. I just hooked up my ATC and it all went flawless. The manual on my 4th Axis, however, was really outdated and Tormach walked me through the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Contact Tormach. I just hooked up my ATC and it all went flawless. The manual on my 4th Axis, however, was really outdated and Tormach walked me through the wiring.
    Wow, you picked up the whole system!
    Very nice, I would love all the options now. All my programs use a half dozen tools and the cool factor of alt-r and go do something else just sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Wow, you picked up the whole system!
    Very nice, I would love all the options now. All my programs use a half dozen tools and the cool factor of alt-r and go do something else just sounds fun!
    Yes, since I was borrowing, I thought I had better get what I want now.
    If I had to have just one goodie, the PDB is the one I would say is a must.
    Good Luck,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Yes, since I was borrowing, I thought I had better get what I want now.
    If I had to have just one goodie, the PDB is the one I would say is a must.
    Good Luck,
    Nathan
    Agreed!
    I had the pdb option setting on the bench a week before the mill was here.
    And I went over budget myself! So far worth every penny. I use everything but a handful of set screw tool holders.
    Next items will be xyz indicator, tapping systems and then 4th axis. I find I can use the 4th axis for some stuff already, and I want to have a full range of options when milling.
    Off to the drawing board!
    Enjoy
    Lane