586,112 active members*
3,047 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to mill this part?

I want to mass produce a part that has a rounded edge as marked in blue in the attached picture. I don't think it can be milled that way, but wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something? I could of course round it manually in a second operation, but that wouldn't be very practical since I'm planing on making 1000+ pieces.

Attachment 304434

I'm thinking u would have to 3d mill it with a ball end mill or if u can set the job up in a 4th axis maybe a rad cutter

Quote Originally Posted by cordvision View Post
    I want to mass produce a part that has a rounded edge as marked in blue in the attached picture. I don't think it can be milled that way, but wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something? I could of course round it manually in a second operation, but that wouldn't be very practical since I'm planing on making 1000+ pieces.

Attachment 304434

Re: How to mill this part?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG IGG View Post
    I'm thinking u would have to 3d mill it with a ball end mill or if u can set the job up in a 4th axis maybe a rad cutter
    Won't be able to 3d mill it. The radius is only 0.5mm so I can't get a ball endmill that small that has a long enough reach

ONLY the blue part, looking very much like a sheet metal work..

is there a thickness for?

can you model separated you actually need?

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    ONLY the blue part, looking very much like a sheet metal work..

is there a thickness for?

can you model separated you actually need?
    No, it's not a separate part. All needs to be milled from one solid block of aluminum. I just don't know how to do the area marked in blue (the radius of this rounded corner is only 0.5mm/.02").

Quote Originally Posted by cordvision View Post
    No, it's not a separate part. All needs to be milled from one solid block of aluminum. I just don't know how to do the area marked in blue (the radius of this rounded corner is only 0.5mm/.02").
    Can you show a bit more of the part? It may be possible to use a small ball mill that has a form cut out of it to create that radius. What is the tolerance of the radius?

oh I see
    then you need to use a endmill like 0.25 in dia, or 6 mm dia

first you mill trough the ""opening""
    then on the radiused edge with same endmil you mill as ""horizontal finish""

im sorry im not exact with process names..

but same endmill, should make it..

the endmill ""edge"" going forth n back along the radiused edge, and stepdowns following the radius..

The ways to accomplish this in one setup are pretty unattractive. As you've noticed, you need a very long tool with a relatively small diameter, and achieving a smooth finish will require very small steps. That makes for a very slow operation, likely slower then doing this as a separate setup on the same machine with a contoured tool, or as a post machining hand finish.

Given the scale, unless this radius was tolerenced and critical, I'd form it with a deburring tool and/or a file after the part came off the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggot View Post
    The ways to accomplish this in one setup are pretty unattractive. As you've noticed, you need a very long tool with a relatively small diameter, and achieving a smooth finish will require very small steps. That makes for a very slow operation, likely slower then doing this as a separate setup on the same machine with a contoured tool, or as a post machining hand finish.

Given the scale, unless this radius was tolerenced and critical, I'd form it with a deburring tool and/or a file after the part came off the machine.
    I thought that was the case, just had some hope that I might have missed an option that would allow me to do it in one set-up. The problem is that I have to do this feature on three sides so that amounts to three extra set-ups per part. I probably have to do it manually, I'm just worried that I don't get a nice finish without spending a considerable amount of time on each part.

You could use a straight shank tool holder with a small collet/nut to get a small ball mill down there, though you would only be able to go so far leaving the corners un machined.

A 3D roughing of the chamfer with the same bit used to machine out first would reduce the amount of filling. Or could the part not be laid on its side?

Set up a second vise, turn the part 90° and use a normal corner-rounding tool?
    Run two vises in the same program, Op #1 and Op #2

if that radius 0.5 mm then guessing from the scale of other elements you need a 6 mm dia tool about 20-25 mm out of chuck or collet..

yes what visible on the picture you can make one setup

outside might use a tronger tool like 10-12 mm dia to finish up the outside walls..

the top of the wall can be radiuse with another tool

saying more exact, could you post a picture how part looking?

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Set up a second vise, turn the part 90° and use a normal corner-rounding tool?
    Run two vises in the same program, Op #1 and Op #2
    I second this

I would run two vise just as stated by russ and use a corner-Rounding tool

A double corner rounding cutter will allow it to be cut in one hit - what are the different radii?

Keen