586,106 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking PlasmaCam DHC Problem

Hello, this question has probably been asked many of times but I've tried to search for my problem on here but have not found an answer.

We just bought a PlasmaCam at our work and we're starting to get to use it to make parts for 2014.
    So our problem is, we have been cutting some random stuff just to get the feel of it. But every time we start the machine, the plasma cutter dives into the metal, as to check the height etc, but then it sits their and trys to keep ramming into it for about 2 seconds and it makes a horrible noise.

On any sheets we cut with slight warpage, the Plasma cutter stops, retries finding the height, but then it just keeps ramming into the sheet for 2 seconds or so. On videos i've seen, the cutter just taps the sheet and continues to run.

Now another problem we have is, the Plasma cutter when it starts to cut leaves a pretty nice sized "crater" into the sheet. It's pretty annoying and I want to know if it's possible to eliminate that "start" crater.

I'm guessing on your diving torch, but would first check the touch off switch (?) or however your machine it told that the torch is at the top of the metal. Does it have a floating head?

The pierce 'ding' is a fact of plasma cutting. Or plasma starting. I use SheetCam to make my gcode. SheetCam, and I am sure others, let you start the torch in the waste part of the metal. A lead in. So by the time the torch gets to your part, that crater is away from it.

HTH
    Paul