After 15 years in the raster / braille signage industry, I have seen it all. At first it was a hand built 4’x8’ CNC router cobbled together from kits and magazine parts at the start of my own business (Gotta love CNCzone forum members for that!); to later opening a production facility for raster and polymer braille/way finding signage overseas for a major international corporation. I purchased my first 60 watt laser for substrate cut down 10 years ago and have since owned or purchased ever major brand of CO2 laser used in the commercial signage industry. I have spent my career either making my own company profitable enough to sell right before the construction crash or creating highly profitable divisions producing large volume raster and polymer ADA signage around the world and here in the states.

The cost of entry into raster signage has come down drastically in the last few years, and according to most studies, the sale of laser and CNC engraver equipment, has increased between 10% - 14%. The money is starting to flow again for the construction industry and those sign shops that made it through the rough patches are starting to see a lot of division 10 signage being bid.

Like any business, there are a lot of little intricate details, that when missed, add up to loss of profits. It’s not just about getting the right machine; it’s about knowing exactly what to do with it once it’s there. Where and what type of acrylic’s are you going to need? What the heck is P99 and how does it differ from “matte”. What’s the best and most cost effect way to paint inexpensive acrylic signage with the lowest possible error rate? How can I produce a 1000 carved acrylic 2”x2” plates with my 24”x38” CO2 laser in 2 days? How do I braille 250 signs a day on my 24”x48” CNC engraver? How do I compete in the wood core ADA signage market effectively? The questions go on and on and most new braille producers don’t even know what to ask or where to look. Speed and keeping that employee cost down is paramount to having a successful braille business, weather you’re a mom and pop vinyl shop looking to expand or a multi-million dollar manufacture. The number of zero's might be different, but the basics are exactly the same.

Most shop owners who buy equipment for raster and polymer braille today know where to get the jobs, and have seen these jobs as part of the bidding process with their present shop. No one producing production run braille efficiently wants to share the process and create more competition for themselves. Courses offered by the CNC and laser resellers are designed to show you how to do simple processes with their machine. I have been to many of these classes over the years, and although you do walk away with knowing how to make one braille sign on a perfectly leveled machine; that’s all they show you.

Now for the opinion portion. I am considering opening a raster production consulting business. I’m not interested in showing you how to sell architectural braille signage, or having people pay me to read for them, what is easily found online about the legal requirements and interpretations of the 2010 ADA law’s. What I’m thinking of offering is a 3 or 4 day – in your shop – learning crash course in raster signage. I will include every part of the process from the file production of blueprint and sign list from your bids to arranging produced signage by blueprints for the most efficient way to install. I will be producing a manual that will follow every step of the process so you always have a reference. I have trained many employees and other sign shops on every level of production, and can easily convey information to someone at the rate they can understand. I am thinking of charging between $2k - $3k + travel for the week. I’ll include pre-sourcing local material suppliers in your area.

Opinions? Things you would like to have known before getting into raster? How helpful would a service like this have been or you think would be to your business? Please either leave comments here or email me at [email protected].