586,089 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Tapping question on the lathe with live tool on P200LA control.

Tapping question on the lathe with live tool on P200LA control.

Hi,

I'm programming with IGF, and my parameter is for floating tap,
    and the code generated for tapping is G184.

The tap should't be retracting when I hit the slidehold button ?

Any advice

Thanks

OK,
    I changed the parameter "G184/G298 tapping mode in "Multiple machining", for "concurrent" instead of "floating"
    It still generate G184, but as soon as I hit the slidehold button, it will retract and wait for cycle start again, just great .

why are you trying to stop the cycle as it's partially completed?

Setting something to "floating" or "concurrent" dictates how the cycle functions on a "mechanical" level.
    Floating tap cycles are for when you use a floating tap holder, concurrent, or rigid, for rigid tapping.

The function you speak of where the tap comes out then stops is normal and how function is supposed to be.
    Typically with any threading cycle, as the cycle start is pressed, there is no way to stop the axes and spindle in an exact location without ruining the thread, so that isn't even an option.

Everything you describe sounds like it is supposed to be that way.

What are you trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tancuda View Post
    The tap should't be retracting when I hit the slidehold button ?
    Tea hole is correct, you do NOT want the tap to stop feeding while spindle is rotating
    - Pushing the feedhold BEFORE the cycle gets to depth, on that hole, makes the feed & spindle direction reverse back to the point of beginning the cycle of that hole.
    - Pushing the feedhold AFTER achieving depth, will stop the axis at the end of the cycle.
    ------ either action eliminates any non-synchronisation between the spindle and the tapping axis (or axes). And helps to NOT break the tap

Concurrent = rigid tapping, spindle slowdown & reverse is continuously linked to the feeding axis
    floating = use of spring loaded holders to absorb to spindle reversal and axis discrepancies at tapping depth

floating cycle can usually be done quicker than rigid, they do tend to have a bit of "flex" to minimise the shock at the top & bottom of the hole (IMO)

I think the later controls have the ability to spin the tap faster when backing out of the hole after going to depth ( ie 400% faster )

to add to the Man of Steel above, i almost always (don't recall ever doing differently, but can't rule out the possibility) rigid tap a with a thread forming tap. No cutting edges to worry about breaking from any shock (which i've never had be an issue personally, but i'm sure is dictated by the individual machine condition and setup). Thread forming takes a lot more torque, and using a non rigid setup may cause problems. Just my $.02

Ok guys, I'm using a "spring loaded" holder and tapping with live tooling.
    I thought that it would be safer like this, just hit feedhold while the holder still in the "loading range" if the tap do not cut
    or break. I just tried it cutting air, but what I undertsand is that it will ruin the thread doing this.

Like Superman said: "Pushing the feedhold BEFORE the cycle gets to depth, on that hole, makes the feed & spindle direction reverse back to the point of beginning the cycle of that hole."
    So it should't ruin the thread if the feed and spindle reverse no ??

We are not tapping lots of hole here and neither at crazy speed, so it would be nice if I could "feedhold" just in case .......

Thanks a lot for your time and experience and sorry for my English.

Hitting the feed hold button will reverse the cycle with the parameter set and will not damage anything. You'll be fine. If you have concerns, use single block.

I agree with tea hole.. See no issue reversing the cycle without any bad results. Threading cycles work the same way. G71 or G33, when feed hold is pressed after beginning a pass the cutter feeds out 1 lead and returns to start point to allow you to "stop" before the full length of cut is achieved.