586,102 active members*
3,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS WIPS and Mastercam X7 renishaw productivity +

HAAS WIPS and Mastercam X7 renishaw productivity +

I am writing to inquire about the HAAS WIPS system. I am the owner operator of a HAAS OM2A and would like to upgrade my machine to be retrofitted with a wireless probe and laser tool setter to take advantage of the possibility of adding productivity + package in MasterCAM X7. However my question is how dose X7 interact with the HAAS WIPS system. The HAAS controller model is a 2007.

My goal is to setup probing routines and measure tool wear and breakage to allow my machine to run unattended, inspect features, and automatically adjust the controller offsets as needed, change tools if broken, and stop the machine if a feature is not cut right.

At the moment I run all my programs FNC through the USB port.

I would like some clarification as to how the HAAS controller will interact with the program. Will it require a computer being hooked up via RS232, will I need an Ethernet connection, or can the probing routines be on the USB program? Will this require a special post form Mastercam, is there one that has already been developed for the HAAS OM2A?

Any insight would be great. Will also attempt to get an answer from HAAS but would like feedback from people that have been able to WIPs to work with X7 and a HAAS controller. Thank you

Renishaw Probing and Tool Setting Information

Hi,

I can't tell you much about the Renishaw tool breakage routines as I have never utilizing that type of programing. I also use ONECNC and not Mastercam.

I have a 2007 HAAS TM1P with the WIPS system. I purchased the WIPS system for $5K as an option during the original purchase. It has been a while but if I remember correctly the cost is around 10K for a retrofit from HAAS after the original purchase. Your HAAS HFO can give you an idea of the current cost and if the system is available for installation on your OM2A. Also, I believe there is a person on the forum named Guy that used to work for Renishaw that is quite knowledgeable on the Renishaw Probing system and associated Macros.

I love my Renishaw Wireless Probe and Tool Setter. It is one of the best options that I purchased for my HAAS machine.

You can also call Renishaw direct and they can give you some guidance. I think the guys name was Rich Foley.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Thank you for the reply, will try and get a hold of Renishaw to see what info I can get out of them. $10K is pretty steep, I am starting to see that I should have opted to get all the options instead of adding on.

What about post, are you using the probing primarily for stock setup or are you able to export the information back to your CAM system?

Hi,

Primarily using probe for stock setup. Some of the options are a no brainer as they can be easily turned on. The Renishaw Wireless Probing and tool setter is another story. I had that explained to me by my HFO during the purchase of my machine so I took the plunge at that time. A friend of mine tried to update after the fact and that is where I got the approximate cost figure. Needless to say, he opted out on the upgrade.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten808 View Post
    I would like some clarification as to how the HAAS controller will interact with the program. Will it require a computer being hooked up via RS232, will I need an Ethernet connection, or can the probing routines be on the USB program? Will this require a special post form Mastercam, is there one that has already been developed for the HAAS OM2A?

Any insight would be great. Will also attempt to get an answer from HAAS but would like feedback from people that have been able to WIPs to work with X7 and a HAAS controller. Thank you
    I have been working with a client in the USA using MasterCAM & Prod+ on a Haas with WIPS this last week.
    Prod+ has an off the shelf Haas post processor which can be purchased with Prod+, however we have found that the off the shelf post needs a few tweaks to make it fully compatible with the WIPS macro variables - we will be documenting the changes based on trials from last week.
    With regards to programming, all the functions you require with regards to setup, tool wear/breakage, inspection and adaptive machining are available within Mastercam Prod+, however note that the program output is a completely different to the set of macros used with WIPS. (It does not utilise the Renishaw 9000 series Easyset & Inspection Plus macros)

When you post process from MasterCAM Prod+, all the programs and supporting macros will be produced as a single program with many subprograms appended. I am pretty confident given the macro structure that they all the subprograms have to be run off the machine memory rather than a USB but I can get clarification on that.

If you want to get real time reports of the dimensions you are measuring, you will need to use CNC Reporter and connect a PC to the RS232 port. This will create CMM style reports, charts & SPC however all in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by guypb View Post
    I have been working with a client in the USA using MasterCAM & Prod+ on a Haas with WIPS this last week.
    Prod+ has an off the shelf Haas post processor which can be purchased with Prod+, however we have found that the off the shelf post needs a few tweaks to make it fully compatible with the WIPS macro variables - we will be documenting the changes based on trials from last week.
    With regards to programming, all the functions you require with regards to setup, tool wear/breakage, inspection and adaptive machining are available within Mastercam Prod+, however note that the program output is a completely different to the set of macros used with WIPS. (It does not utilise the Renishaw 9000 series Easyset & Inspection Plus macros)

When you post process from MasterCAM Prod+, all the programs and supporting macros will be produced as a single program with many subprograms appended. I am pretty confident given the macro structure that they all the subprograms have to be run off the machine memory rather than a USB but I can get clarification on that.

If you want to get real time reports of the dimensions you are measuring, you will need to use CNC Reporter and connect a PC to the RS232 port. This will create CMM style reports, charts & SPC however all in real time.
    Intersting timing of this topic as I am researching adding this feature to some machines; especially the CNC Reporter. guypb, would you mind if I PM you some questions?

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Intersting timing of this topic as I am researching adding this feature to some machines; especially the CNC Reporter. guypb, would you mind if I PM you some questions?
    Be my guest.