586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC aluminium surfacing random indent

Hey everyone, I'm new to cnc milling. I got a Chinese 6040 routing machine with gecko g540 controller. I wanted to surface my table using the mach3 surfacing wizard, before starting with the surfacing I tried it out on a piece of aluminium with a 6mm end mill bit just to test the finish. There are some arbitrary indents on the surfaced piece of aluminium that looks like the z-axis has moved by very small increment but I don't have anything in the code that indicates that behaviour. I'm posting a few pictures of the finish, can someone look at the pictures and tell me what could of possibly caused it and how can I improve the finish?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Try it again with a high positive new cutter. Not coated. Use a little bit of WD40 as lubrication. It may be swarf under the cutter. As the cutter rotates it traps the swarf under the cutting edges.

Alan

I think it should be the possible cause of spindle or axis vibration. check your spindle run out.

you may try this.

spindle assembly. run out problem. spindle bearing.cncmachinetools.org

I dont think you have enough rigidity. the cutter is riding up on the workpiece (table) and then drops down and cuts deep when the material hardness changes or it just gets toom much downward pressure built up.

Use a VERY sharp hss cutter with lube.
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

You probably could take a shallower cut. I wouldn't slow the federate down, but would increase the spindle speed. Also agree with everyone else - use LUBE; you don't need a lot, just brush some WD-40 over the workpiece....

Thanks for the reply everyone,
    i have tried using lubricant, different types/sizes new cutters(HSS, carbide) and also a new spindle but its still happening. i believe its caused by some sort of movement in z axis when the stepper motors are moving, due to the table possible not rigid enough. it was happening on a piece of nylon where i was taking 1/10 of mm, the only thing i haven't tried is to cut in Y-axis rather than X to see if i can get that crescent moon shape in other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SinghAnmol View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm new to cnc milling. I got a Chinese 6040 routing machine with gecko g540 controller. I wanted to surface my table using the mach3 surfacing wizard, before starting with the surfacing I tried it out on a piece of aluminium with a 6mm end mill bit just to test the finish. There are some arbitrary indents on the surfaced piece of aluminium that looks like the z-axis has moved by very small increment but I don't have anything in the code that indicates that behaviour. I'm posting a few pictures of the finish, can someone look at the pictures and tell me what could of possibly caused it and how can I improve the finish?
    I know it's not a milling machine but I was getting rings on my 6061 tubing on the lathe. Tried everything, turns out the brass plug was moving in the tube so I switched to a bull nose with bearings and no movement. (Rigidity problem) In the photos is carbide on the left and Cermet on the right, no lubricant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1579.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	215070

The first thing I thought of was as Alan described above, swarf either getting hung up on the end mill or recut.

Some have mentioned rigidity which is always an issue on these cheap routers. If that was the case I would think that you would be seeing lots of these imperfections. That being said, what type of spindle do you have? If it is a simple router end play in the router might cause some issues but to be honest this doesn't look like end play. It looks more like a scuffing of the surface as opposed to an anomaly caused by tool deflection.