586,096 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Home/limit switches for small mill

Home/limit switches for small mill

Hi,

I'm starting my first CNC conversion and have questions about home and limit switches.

1) What are good choices for home and limit switches for a small mill (like a Sieg X3)? There are a bewildering number of limit switches in the Allied Electronics catalog.
    2) Do people typically use the same model switch for both homing and limits (or a better switch for homing)?
    3) Are mechanical switches accurate enough for homing?
    4) Are home switches typically mounted at one limit of an axis's travel? Seem like mounting them somewhere nearer the "typical" working area might be better.
    5) Are sofware limits in place of physical switches advisable?

Thanks in advance.

David

If you do a search using 'home limit switch zero' you will find about 370 threads. On the first three or four pages, i.e. in the first 100 threads found by the search you will find about 8 threads that discuss this topic.

Electronics catalog limit switches may not be robust enough for a contaminated environment.

We had some mounted on our machines and they eventually ALL gave troubles.

Some real robust pieces to consider are Honeywell 914 series "microswitches".

Real jewelry and nearly bullet proof. I"ve got some on some machines that were OEM fitted in the late 70's and they're still ticking.