586,103 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS TL-1 Alarm 198 - Spindle Stalled

Hi guys, if anyone can advise me on a solution for the problem I would be very grateful.

I have a Haas TL-1, its about 3 years old. I sometimes get the error '198 Spindle Stalled) when running slow RPM programs.
    I can repeat the error by starting the spindle at 500 RPM in jog mode, then asking for 50 RPM. After approximately 2 revolutions the spindle stops and the control flashes 'SPINDLE STALLED'. This happens every time, even without any load on the spindle, or a part in the chuck.
    It happens running CW or CCW.

I have replaced the main drive belt and the encoder belt, and tried the main drive belt slack and tight with no difference.
    Kind of ironically, I stalled the spindle the other day (parting off at 100ish RPM on a 8" alloy disc) and the alarm did not show!

I don't know what to check next, I hope that one of you guys may be able to assist me.

Thanks for your time,
    Jake

touch your spindle after rotation at 500 rpm for 5 mnts. Is it abnormally hot, if so I think you have some internal problem in your spindle.
    you can try this

spindle assembly. run out problem. spindle bearing.cncmachinetools.org

Thanks for your reply. I just left the lathe running at 500RPM for 15 minutes, it is still cold to the touch all over (chuck, spindle, drive motor)
    I should add that my spindle rotates freely as it should and has no noticeable play. The motor drive pulley also shows no play, nor does the spindle encoder.
    I don't know what to do! Any more suggestions?

only 3 yrs old... why not ask Haas?

seems possibly normal to me - on both accounts..... nothing broken..... how long have u had the machine? is it DIFFERENT now than before?

Know there are TWO signals associated with spindles: zero speed & upto speed.

Normally zero speed comes on somewhere around below 50-100rpm & upto speed comes on when you get within 100-150rpm...... so if nothing changed, your machine MAY be working correctly; hence ask Haas what their settings are for these 2 sigs....

(in case confusing still, tell it to run 50rpm and if zero speed does not shut off until 75rpm, that is an invalid speed to command and it WILL time out on zero speed sig. Conversely, machine at 100rpm with an upto speed that does not go away until 125rpm drop and it will not report a stall - again, a not acceptable machining speed.)