586,075 active members*
4,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

? about jog wheels

i found this digital rotary stepper control
    http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/i...=8&category=36
    is this the same basic thing as a jog wheel.from the documents it looks like it would easy to modify to work with any control board.digital hand wheels would make running my machines a lot easier with my arthritis.
    mike,
    when you do things rite,
    people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

The circuit on the link is a stand alone (small) stepper driver. The rotary switch can be bought separately. I have here one in my hand: Bourns, ECW1J-B24-AC0024. As it outputs AB pulses it should'nt be hard to implement. The real challenge is the circuit to enable hand wheel signals/disable PC signals vice versa, and eventually multiplex it over the axes. For the price off the switches I would'nt even bother with multiplexing, but use one for every axle.

Carel

in the documents for the board it uses a pic as an interpitor for the ECW1J.i was woundering about using an optical encoder for finer control and have the pic output step/dir pulses.if the encoder was matched to the microstep setting, then the hand wheel would turn 1:1 with the motor.if it works it would be a digital replacement for the manual hand wheels.
    mike,
    when you do things rite,

The nice thing about the ECW is that it "clicks", like it's expensive brothers and it is sort of ready for the job, except the resolution. I was planning to overcome this by selectable multiplying. An optical encoder just "spins". You could mount it on a unconnected stepper to get the "click".

Carel

thats a good idea thanks.
    and it will give me something to do with the little teac motors that are to small for anything else.
    mike,
    when you do things rite,

i tried the stepper idea but its hard to feel the steps on my little steppers.so i think i'm going to just use incriment marks on the wheel face.

i just found this keyboard that looks perfict for a cnc control panel.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/77ba/
    you can put the keys any place you want and assign there function.
    mike,
    when you do things rite,