586,061 active members*
4,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > CAM program for face / body shapes

CAM program for face / body shapes

Hello everyone,

I have been an Autocad user for years but I'm relatively new to CNC routing and CAM programs, and I would
    appreciate if you could give me some advice; I want to create human or animal faces/bodies either drawing them or from a jpg file
    to be taken to a CAM program and carved in wood using a cnc router, and make them look as real as possible, but I don’t know
    what Cam program to get for this purpose. I have access now to Vectric Aspire V.3, or VCarve Pro V.6, SolidWorks Premium 2012
    but before I spend time and money into any of these program, I would like to know if any of those is the right one. (As we know,
    they can be pricey). Is there any program for this purpose that won’t be too costly and practical besides the ones mentioned? I have
    included 2 links to give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve in finish and looks. (In link #1, disregard the nudity at the beginning)
    The following CNC router would be in my budget: CNC Shark Pro plus Routing System, do you think it would be good enough
    for my purpose?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Usinando Relevos - CNC Router Metallab - YouTube
    cara - YouTube

To make these shapes you need a 3D CAD package but not Solidworks ..this is engineering software and is pretty useless for these organic shapes. 3D Studio Max is more geared towards this sort of thing and I've heard Blender is good. They output mesh models that can give some CAM software problems when importing as it uses a lot of memory. MeshCAM would be a good option.
    Also probably don't go for Vectric Aspire as this is just for converting 2D geometry to 3D reliefs by pulling up the surfaces in a fairly rudimentary way(though it is very good at this! Great for signage and wood carvings but you can't do stuff like in theses videos with it).

The Shark Pro plus Routing System looks fine for this sort of work. All machines can do this. You just need to make sure it is big enough for what you want to produce. It has good clearance for a small machine but remember half that 5 inch Z clearance could be taken up by tool length and rapid level clearance.

Malt
    If you have access to Aspire, I would use that! It most certainly can do what those videos are showing.
    We do it all the time. Best bet is to try and use a 3d model (.stl) instead of a photo.

John

I would suggest some meshmodeler..
    something like silo3d or hexagon..

definitely a subdivisionmodeler..

aspire and artcam makes reliefs.. however about 1 of 100 user if can make good facemodel..

Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    (In link #1, disregard the nudity at the beginning)
    Was the wood supposed to have cloths?