586,058 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pulley sizes

Pulley sizes

Ok got my answers for the dc motor now I need pulleys. I was thinking of going with a 2.55 O.D. pulley for the 1.5 HP dc motor and a 3.55 O.D. pulley on the spindle(mini mill head). What da ya think ? Will that be ok for my set up? This is for my manual milling machine that I,m building.

Here's my old micromill with the surplus center 1.5hp 90vdc motor with a set of 2" and 3" pulleys and a 4L Fenner belt. If it helps you at all. I'm not sure how much bigger the minimill head is but it was a pretty tight fit with stacks of 2" and 3" pulleys on the micro.

Sweet, at first I couldn,t tell how you tightened the belt but I see it now. I originaly had planned to set mine up like yours with the motor directly behind the spindle however due to the z axis handle location , I have to off set mine to the left side of the head. Nice job. Is that one of those cheapy motors like $20, how did that work for ya?

Yeah, the entire top plate shifts backwards to tension. After that picture I took out one link of belt and tensioned it up and it was pretty much perfectly set back square with the bottom plate.

Smart move offsetting it, it is just too tight of a squeeze otherwise. At least on the micro head I know I could not have done 2.5 and 3.5" pulleys as it was.

Yes, it was a cheapo $20 motor run off one of their speed controllers. Worked like a dream. So much more power then I ever could have used on such a small mill. Really made the micro feel more like a tool than a toy. I am confident you will be very happy with the switch to the larger motor on your minimill head/spindle.

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI...783-A&catname=

Thanx for the link, yeah I was debating getting that motor or not. Let me ask you another question, on your spindle pulley what kind of modification did you have to get it on the spindle?

All I did was bore it out, cut a slot for the stock keyway too.

So if my motor spins at 3100 rpm and if I want up to 3000 rpm milling speed I need to make my pulleys the same size? or close to the same size?

You got it.