586,597 active members*
3,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Corian for a table?

Has anyone here thought of using a piece of corian as a table for their router? I've been wondering what I should use for awhile now when I someone I know came across a good size piece that I could get for cheap. Also, how flat do you think corian is, and will it bow or dip in the middle? I plan on doing alot of engraving, and need to have the table as flat as possible. My table size is basically 36" X 36" and the corian is 1/2" thick. Waat do you guys think?

Jason

1/2" will bow on you unless you make a torsion style box from it or support it somehow with sq. tubing.

although it might not be FLAT and it might take some time, you can actually machine the top of the corian, this will ensure it will be square with you spindle head..

you can even cut a sholder on the left and bottom of the Corian, this would create a step down and allow you to hold the sign square and the the same "0,0" point for each and every job...

next option is to cut some slots in both x and y axis drill through to the under side, attach a few hoses and connect this all to a vacuume pump and as quick as a flash you have a level vacuume system that ensures your signs are aligned to zero,zero every time in a matter of seconds

Just my 2cents worth

While we're on the subject, what does everyone here who has a decent size machine( table 36"x 36") use for a table? Been thinking about this for awhile now, and don't know what to use.

Jason

here is the underside of mine - theory is sound but the excecuition, was poor (idea was to use C-section steal and place a thin compound to take up the uneven weld joints then lay extruded T-slot Aluminium on the table to hold down) as it was not done correctly ( Bought the machine from O/seas) this is what the T-slot Aluminium pieces look like from the top.

Also you will see in the 2nd photo an idea of the cross section profile
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01686.JPG   DSC01683.JPG  

Well is you support everything on 4 legs....then you can use the legs to level your system.....and then the 'flatness' of the corian is well......

for leveling check out this thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19418

to see how I did it have a look here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14558

Salty

Wink machine made of Corian

Hello, I've made my table and aprons out of corian laminating 2 half inch peices glued using CA glue routed the edges top bottom to form a 1/4 lip in the middle of the peice to fit into slots in extruded aluminum 1x1 square

Jason Corian is a very poor choice.It will sag if not fully supported.It is very fragile,similar to glass.Sheets come in 30"x10' If you and a buddy pick it up from the ends it will sag over a foot and snap.When used as a countertop it is glued down with blobs of silicone as a shock mount.
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Cool rebutle

if you pick up any thing 30" wide and 10' long it will sag while other substrates may not break you would not leave it unsupported in a build corian is a fragile material but laminated to 1" thick gives great rigidity corion cuts like a dream mills great and in my opinion is better than wood

Rebuttal #2

I have to side with Larry here. While it may work in some applications, in general, it has more cons than pros for cnc machine use. In addition to being brittle, it also expands and contracts a lot with temperature changes. If not mounted to allow for this expansion and contraction, it can easily crack. And while it cuts and routes fairly easily, it's still more difficult to work with than wood. It's also expensive and can be hard to get.

But if it works for you, use it.

Larry, in the warehouse for our Corian distributor, I've seen them carry full sheets like you said. It bends more than a foot, but doen't break, unless you bounce it up or down.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Jason I am a bit lost on the question.Is the corion the only base or table of the machine?I assume it is as you were worried of sag.If that is the case it is a very poor choice.I read the guys are using the corion on top of their aluinium T-tables.Fine,but an expensive spoil board.MDF is a better cheaper product which you would mill squaring up to the gantry when nessary
    Larry

back at ya

Obviously you hav never worked with CORIAN my name is Chuck

Chuck,I have worked with solid surfacing materials longer than I could imagine.As a table top material or counter top on a router it is very good to place your coffee cup.Our 5'x10' Thermwood router at work which cost $100grand plus $20 grand for the vacuum pump,plus $20grand in solidworks uses 2 sheets of MDF 3/4" thick as the table top.
    My .002 worth
    larry

here are pics of what iam doingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	95654

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	95655

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg 
Views:	64