586,103 active members*
3,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Want to Make some signs

Question Want to Make some signs

Hi All,

Merry Xmas, Have been putting together the Meccano and the train sets and now it is me time

Trying to use Rhino 5 to create a sign, Simple (I thought) All I want to do is get a piece of timber 600mm X 150mm and have the word Timboon engraved in it about 10mm Deep with a 10mm cutter. (Or along those lines).

My problem is getting Rhinocam to recognise the text as cuts and generate some g code.

I made the stock placed the text, extruded the txt into the stock, used the boolean function to remove the material and tried to generate but it asks for me to choose to select maching features / geometry before proceeding.

I am a newbie with Rhino and learning as fast as I can.

Thanks in Advance

Prboz

I would use the text function in Rhino 4, I dont have rhino 5, draw the text to the size you want, this can be put on a substrate or done without it, its a bit easier with it. Then export as an .igs file to your cam program, there select the cutter size, depth of cut, the other parameters etc.
    mike sr

Attachment 215326

this is a zip file of what your looking for, not to scale but its there and will machine in Mach 3 as thats what I use.

I used an engraver tool .010 thousanths deep. done in sprutcam.

drawn in rhino 4

Unless rhino 5 includes a cam program, you will need one to generate the code.
    mike sr

you can import rhino 3dm into freemill by mecsoft and using a raster toolpath...

another option using only the vectors and F-engrave create you the engraving toolpath, or pocketing toolpath.... means pocketing the letters inside..

using offsets on the vectors, tool radius value, the dxf output also can be converted to gcode..

In RhinoCAM, to get it to do what you want, just draw a rectangle around the area you want to cut. That's what it calls a "Machining region". Select that, and choose horizontal roughing to get it to generate a toolpath. (Your tool has to be small enough to fit comfortably in the letters you've made, or nothing will happen. Then choose a smaller tool to get more of the letters that the roughing tool couldn't reach and do a Horizontal Finishing toolpath.

There are other ways to get it to engrave text, but they are based on using the 2D outlines of the letters as input instead of the 3D surface you've created.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. hope you had a wonderful Xmas day.

Regards

Prboz