586,728 active members*
2,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Working with Endmills

...On a Taig.

Question: Does the Taig CNC-Ready Mini-Mill come with a chuck, or how do I lock the endmill in place.

Really shows you how new I am to milling/CNC work.

Burn

There's two options for the spindle on a Taig. The first is the stock, proprietary threaded spindle that you have to use Taig collets with (which only go up to 5/16"). Thats what I have and I have to use end mill holders or arbors for all of my tooling larger than 5/16". I have a 3/8" end mill holder from www.a2zcnc.com and it does an excellent job. In the rare case that I do use over 3/8" tooling (1/2" end mill or the like) I use a blank arbor that I bored out on my lathe. You can get the blank arbors from www.cartertools.com but they don't do you much good if you don't have a lathe to bore them out with.

The second option with the Taig is the ER-16 spindle upgrade which allows you to use much more common ER-16 collets. These collets come in much more sizes and are stocked in nearly every machine tool catalog. Largest size they go up to is 3/8" I believe. The other advantage to the ER spindle is that you don't have to use an arbor which makes the tool much closer to the bearings and spindle which gives you more Z clearance (and makes things a bit more stout as well).

So it's necessary to buy a holder for each endmill? Like this one?
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...mages/1162.jpg

Those are some other kind of shank, but yeah thats the general idea. Here's a link to the one I use: http://a2zcnc.com/products.asp About mid way down. A different one is necessary for every size end mill you plan on using. I've been getting by with just a 3/8" as thats a pretty common shank size (even for small cutters, down to 1/8") and I wouldn't recommend using end mills larger than 1/2" on a stock Taig. I use my 1/2" arbor for a tap holder and things of that sort.

Hmm...For small work, like detail work, would a 1/8" and a 1/4" holder get me by?

Edit- Here Is the place that lists them for the Tiegs. Which ones do you reccomend I get for smaller work? I think a 1/4" and a 1/8" would do.

Thanks again.

First you must figure out which kind of spindle you have (or are going to get). The end mill holders will only work with the proprietary threaded spindles - not the ER-16 spindles. If you're getting the proprietary threaded one, I wouldn't bother with an 1/8" and 1/4" holder as the stock collet system supplies you with an 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" collet. I would suggest a 3/8" arbor/end mill holder so you can work with "normal" sized tooling (read: 3/8" shank, not shank dia = cutter dia) so you don't have to buy miniature sized tooling.

Yeah, I hear you- Which would be the better buy, the ER-16 spindle, or go with the proprietary?

Up to you really. I would probably go with the ER-16 spindle upgrade not only for the collets but to get the cutter closer to the spindle to increase Z distance and make it more rigid. Might want to consult a few other Taig owners though and see what they think.

Okay, thanks a bunch.

TAIG OWNERS! I NEED YOUR ADVICE!

Heh...Not necessary, but useful.

Another quickie- Is the ER-15 spindle removable, or is it permanantly on? If I have the money, I might as well get one if it's detachable.

Well, the spindle is removeable, but generally you wouldn't do that.

With the stock Taig spindle you can use the screw on holders or Taig collets to 1/4"
    With the ER-16 you can use collets between .020" and 3/8"
    Generally I think the ER16 is the way to go.

You get a closer nut with the ER spindle, but with the stock spindle it is extra...
    You will need a thin 1" wrench and a 7/8" wrench with the stock spindle, 2 1" wrenches with the ER16.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

i believe other mini mills have the an R-8 spindle. the R-8 spindle is common to other bench top mills as well as bridgeports and so on. so if you ever want to upgrade all your tooling will upgrade with you. something to consider. i just went throught this since i bought a Rf-25 clone and then later bought a RF-45 clone from Industrial hobbies. it was nice that all my tooling carried over.

Recently converted to the ER-16 spindle and won't be going back to the proprietary spindle.

Yeah, I'm working with cartertools for the 2019CR-ER, it looks like I'm going to get the ER spindle. I will order the collets along with the mill when I go ahead to order it from cartertools.com. Thanks guys!