Hi people!

I've been lurking and reading for a month or so now and finally made an account so I could ask for insight into my planned CNC router design. I'd like to make sure I'm not overlooking something stupid, or that there aren't any obvious improvements I could make before I begin sourcing parts.

I'll be using Aluminum extrusion (8020 series 15 most likely) for the structure. For the gantry uprights I'll hopefully be able to make them from 3/8" 6061 plate aluminum. For linear guidance and motion I'd like to use hiwin/nsk style rails. I'll likely start by sourcing these parts since they will determine the measurements for the 8020 structure they sit upon.

Electronics will be last.

I'm hoping, for now, that a few people could glance at the images I'm including to see the basic idea of the build. The measurements in the last image are just rough. The Z-Axis is not my actual plan, it's just a stand-in for now. I'll be mounting a Bosch PR20EVSK router as the spindle.

Are there any obvious improvements I could make (moving locations of ball screws, or rethinking how something is configured, etc...)?

My only real ambition is to be able to route hardwoods with accuracy and precision. I don't have numbers for how accurate or precise. Let's say that I have ambitions to make solid body electric guitars and need to make snug fitting neck pockets reliably. I also have ambition to make signage for profit on the weekends if I find a market for it in my area.

If it so happens that I create a machine that is capable to routing aluminum, that would be a sweet perk, but I'm not shooting for that right now.

Thanks!

Attachment 215444

Attachment 215446

Attachment 215448

Attachment 215450

Attachment 215452