586,121 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

GibbsCam versus SolidCam

Hi Everybody, we've just invested in GibbsCam about 12 months ago and are making good progress, however I've just sat through a 1 hour presentation on Solidcam and must admit to feeling I may have made the wrong move. The "imachining" part looks absolutely fantastic, I was wondering what other engineers thoughts would be on the two packages and also whether "volumill" is really a similar version og "imachining"

I'm a Solidcam instructor and in the process of learning gibbscam and i have to say they are both good in their own way. Gibbscam is very easy to use and powerful as well. Solidcam is very well integrated with solidworks and yes imachining is definitely a powerful tool. I wouldn't quiet say you made the wrong choice as gibbscam is a pretty good software as well but solidcam is easier to use in my opinion, it's integration with solidworks makes everything easy to accomplish and in the end of the day that's what we engineers want, less time programming and trying to figure out how to use the software. I say don't be afraid to try solidcam. It's very hard to choose between the two.

Moussa Sleiman
    vtpros.net

Regarding your Volumill query, I would say that it is the standard and others compare to it. Volumill has many years of successful field implementation within many CAM packages and environments, and has results to back it. Many other brands make claims, based often on simple geometry, or comparing to their own prior art. Certainly, all high-performance roughing techniques (implemented properly) will have better results than traditional offset-wall techniques.