586,069 active members*
3,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Series 3 upgrade

I wrapped up the series 3 upgrade and uploaded the software last night just as tormach closed. Of course I cant get the pc to connect to the machine. This happened years ago and Daniel at Tormach was able to figure it out. I cant find my notes on that set-up. Can anyone offer any advice? I think it was something to do with the usb port. It is a XP pc.

Any help would be great.

Tom

Need a bit more info to be very helpful, but here are some thoughts. Presumably you were running fine, prior to the upgrade, using a cleaned-up XP OS per Tormach, and haven't reinstalled XP, and you disconnected the printer port cable during the reinstall. New software installed OK, and Mach started up as usual after the upgrade and seems to be fine.

General troubleshooting principle is divide and conquer (in other words, try to isolate problems by big chunks first), and -if you've been working on the machine- look there first. All of this says recheck the installation again (I'm sure you already have) after a break. I'm always amazed at what I catch the next day, after going blind looking for a problem the night before. And on that subject, get a good, bright light, and consider using a magnifier when looking.

Reseat all the connectors on the controller, ditto the printer cable. Make sure the ribbon cables/connectors are correct on the pins. Give each ribbon header a little squeeze to reseat the ribbon, just in case (ribbon headers are surprisingly delicate- pulling them off by the ribbon can create a flaky connection). Take a good look at all the connections in the control cabinet, in fact.

If that fails, do you have lights on the controller board? On the computer link OK? Anything else that will help isolate or locate?

If that doesn't get it, then try the next easiest thing- reinstall Mach.

Oh, yes, One thing that nearly got me. Make sure the new Z axis brake is ON. Wasn't in the instructions. It should be straight out from the motor, not angled. If it's off, you may have the head falling, even if it was OK before the upgrade.

With what sounds like a similar system, my upgrade was trouble free. In other words, this is likely something simple but not obvious. Good luck.

Hi Thanks for the reply. I just got it up and running. One thing I noticed is the steppers get kind of hot is that normal?

Great. Glad to hear you're up. But...We're dying here...what was the problem? If it's not too embarrassing to divulge.

Yes, my opinion is that the steppers seem hotter, faster than the series 2 motors. But then they level out, at a guess around 120-130F (hot enough to notice, not hot enough to be a problem). I've had my upgrade for 2 years, doesn't seem to have been a problem.

It was the wrong printer port number. I had to put the right number in. Everything works great so far. Tomorrow Ill make some chips.

Great upgrade. I used it a couple times and had a small issue today. All fixed now I'm not sure how or why. But one of the dip switches was in the wrong spot. Time to hunt down my son and ask if he was using it.

Tom